compressing your mp3's

harminoffendl

Still Fresh
ok first off, you need these programs

the new gp32 mp3 player (old one won't play compressed)

download this dietmp3

install that, make a new folder in it called compressed

change setting's to what you want, sence the gp32 is so small, and the human ear sucks, i usually select the first (telephone) to 2nd (fm radio) setting.

you can only compress 15 files, but it compresses so well, ive got songs at have a meg. that were 3 before, wich saves alot of space.

have fun, and post other compressors/methods of compressing

yeah, i use dietMP3 too. It works great. I can't even tell any difference in the sound quality.

Mp3s are already compressed, and alot too. The only thing I know of that is smaller than an mp3 is an ogg. But assume you meant change the quality. The standard for mp3 is 128kbps 16bit 44.1khz
So I took a 2:54 song and converted it to see what the size diff was
Wav - 172kbps 44.1khz= 29.3mb (CD quality)
Mp3 - 128kbps 44.1khz = 2.66mb (CD quality)
Mp3 - 112kbps 22khz = 2.33mb
Ogg - 128kbps 44.1khz = 2.69mb
Ogg - 80kbps 44.1khz = 1.93mb (CD quality)
Wma- 44kbps 44.1khz = 1.02mb (Near tape cassette quality)
Vqf - 96kbps 44.1khz = 2.00mb (CD quality)

The one I go with is 80kbps in Ogg format because its the smallest and still sounds just as good as the cd. Ogg can go as low as 66kbps and still sound really good.

This is the same technique wma uses to have "smaller file sizes" at the expense of quality. After a long time I hardly noticed the difference, until I switched back to pure cd quality. Whoa. Lots of quality lost.

I've got a question
If I decompress an mp3 to a wav, does it regain cd quality?
If so, how does that work? (how that it fill in the details)

I've got a question
If I decompress an mp3 to a wav, does it regain cd quality?
If so, how does that work? (how that it fill in the details)
If you convert an mp3 back to a wav, it will be the same quality as the mp3 is. With the right tools however, you can tweek it to sound better again.

Last edited by a moderator:
geez.. i always seem to be the one w/problems.
Anyoen else get a file list loading screen that doesnt go anywhere (in the beta v.95 or whatever of team2kyaa's mp3 player)... even after 10 minutes?

no, I don't have that problem. try re-downloading the program.

I'd like to say that I tried this compression method, and it works fine. My "Stand Alone Complex" OST fit onto a 16mb card. Very nice.

OGG really isnt that much different unless youre under digital speakers that suck.

my samsung mp3 player has some really crazy chip thing that makes my 64kbit mp3s sound like 256s its really crazy.

you have 2 mp3 players? show off :p

i'll give this a try when i get in seeing as i've only got a 64mb SMC that works out at 10 songs ;_; I hate having music taste that means huge file sizes

i dont understand why you need to compress to that small.
my 128mb smc has:
snes emu and 7 roms
nes emu and 35 roms
windups with tons of pictures
a full cd in mp3, 128kbps
doomv5 with ultimatedoom wad
pinball dreams demo
And room left for more.

if you've got a 64mb or 32mb SMC for mp3s only by compressing you can double the amount on there, thats amazing for people who love music but are too cheap to buy a proper mp3 player :D

Time to bring a thread back from the dead...

What do I use to play OGG files on the GP32. It seems to be the best format to use but I can't find a player for it. The OGG player only plays a.ogg and b.ogg. Media PLayer v0.5 just goes to a whitescreen. I guess I have to put the ogg files somewhere specific, but there is no documentation. None of the other media players listed on this site claim to play ogg. So what are people using?

There isnt a good ogg player yet. I think people are waisting their time with mp3 players, because there is a good one built in...

Back