Computer Or Gpx2

Apple

Still Fresh
Website
elppa.mine.nu
I've been reading about the GP2X, the downfall is the more I read, the more I want to buy one. About a month ago, my main computer died (Mobo problems.) and I haven't got around to buying a new one. My birthday is in about 10 days (20th), and I would be able to buy a GP2X. I'm fighting hard with a new computer, or a GP2X. What would you pick?

Another thing. Do you really expect the scene around the GP2X to be great from day one? How about the hardware? I don't want to buy one, and end up with a system that wont be supported later (Think BLU+, but for the first batch of systems.)

Thanks for your time and answers. :)

Edit: Typo. And crap the one in my topic title. D:

get a new motherboard.

as usual, jaw's got some for sale ;)

i could sort you out with something basic for as little as a tenner ;)

(as most of you can tell by now, i have a lot of stuff that i need to get rid of)

Well, you need a computer to get stuff onto the GP... I assume you have a secondary computer.

It depends on you needs. You can't write papers with GP...

Mobo's are very cheap, though.

Edit: Wouldn't happen to have graphics cards? ;)

I would think it would have to depend on how neccesary a new computer is in comparison to a fun device like the 2X. if the computer you're using right now is a school/library/work place computer then you might want to get that first and then wait for some of the early apps for the 2X to be updated. Things for the 2X around here will definatly be jumping from day one, people have already developed apps that are likely to run the instant you download it, the only thing is how many will be to the best of their potential without being worked on a little.

Of course if Jaw can help you get your old computer working with a few low cost parts that might save you some money! :D

I was going to buy new parts, and build a whole new computer. I didnt see a point in finding a mobo that would work for the old pc (I found a few, but I could just get a nForce4 mobo for the same price) I guess I could cut down on the parts for the new computer (Ie: not 2 gigs of ram, no hdds, not a 6800gt ;o).

Oh, yes. I do have another computer that I can use. Its a awesome P2 @ 200MHz, 128MB ram, 6gig hdd, and gentoo without X. :)

Aaaa, my spare in use currently is Radeon 9200 128MB...

Well, worth a shot. :)

Edit: You can propably re-use plenty of the obsolete stuff, untill you can afford new ones. CPU might need to be replaced, or so they tend to be.

Let's face it, you need a computer to:
1. Be on this forum.
2. Download stuff for your GP2X
3. Use for other things

And there won't be a lot of things avalible at launch so how long do you have to wait to be able to afford a GP2X after you get your computer running?

yeah, and be sure to get a x800GTO sapphire edition which is cheaper and can be modded to x850xtpe!
haha, i regret putting so much money into my pc now as i dont even play pc games anymore.

Back