Console Wars

marko

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Just imagine if this project goes well and the money flows for the OP team then do you think we'd maybe see development of a home console, ala 360/PS3?

Would be most excellent.

Marko said:
Just imagine if this project goes well and the money flows for the OP team then do you think we'd maybe see development of a home console, ala 360/PS3?

Would be most excellent.
They could definitely do it if there were enough interest. It's probably a lot easier to do, but why? One can already hook up a pandora directly to a TV and use a bluetooth controller to control it, apart from much more horse power, I'm not sure what you'd gain by doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it, a home console would basically just be a Linux PC with a specialized controller. I don't think there's a market for it, considering the lack of games, the cost, and the fact that you could just buy a PC anyway.

Handhelds, on the other hand, have hardly been done and are certainly not the standard.

Linux consoles have been tried before, with limited success. A PC is normally a much better option.

At this rate we'll be seeing XBox 720s and PS4s before the Pandora's even out.

The funny thing is, a lot of people aren't paying for a PS3 regardless of the titles.

The console market seems to work in extremes. The Pandora is by far the most powerful handheld to date at its price range. The same would have to happen on the console front.

I would've thought it'd be better to have a dedicated linux console with a new bie friendly GUI. The tech-heads could hack to their hearts content leaving the others to enjoy open source goodies. I'd rather not go down the route of upgrade - obsolete - upgrade - obsolete etc with my PC again. I just thought it might be a cool idea.

The Pandora already is (well, will be) the greatest home console I could imagine. Small, Linux, open standards. B)

hedwards said:
One can already hook up a pandora directly to a TV and use a bluetooth controller to control it, apart from much more horse power, I'm not sure what you'd gain by doing it.

A Bluetooth controller, for instance. So far I've seen exactly three BT controllers on the market:
  1. A completely unergonomic one made for mobile phones
  2. The WiiMote. Requires special drivers, IIRC, and is rather useless for emulation purposes due to having few buttons
  3. The Sixaxis/PS3 DualShock. Uses a special broken version of the Bluetooth protocol and requires a special driver, as well
There is no "normal gamepad" (e.g. somethng like a standard-conformant Sixaxis) that uses BT. That's really annoying as BT has an HID stack and every OS should support BT gamepads out of the box.

I really should learn the basics of working with microcontrollers and build my own BT controller one day. It has to be technologically feasible.

Spirit said:
The Pandora already is (well, will be) the greatest home console I could imagine. Small, Linux, open standards. B)
Pandora
-display/+hdmi out
-battery
-small-size
-build-in gaming controls
+dvd/(maybe even blueray)
+dsp mpeg2-codec for external dvb-c/s/t
+maybe a little more housepower (but compatible)

would be about the optimal home-console i could think of.

j6cubic said:
A Bluetooth controller, for instance. So far I've seen exactly three BT controllers on the market:
  1. A completely unergonomic one made for mobile phones
  2. The WiiMote. Requires special drivers, IIRC, and is rather useless for emulation purposes due to having few buttons
  3. The Sixaxis/PS3 DualShock. Uses a special broken version of the Bluetooth protocol and requires a special driver, as well
Wiimote has the classic controller, which is great for emulators (snes for example). And both the wiimote and the sixaxis has support on normal linux 2.6 kernel. I've used both, and plan to use them when I get my pandora; samething with the xbox wireless controller so people can choose his favourite gamepad, when we gather around to play.

joseluisjazz said:
j6cubic said:
[*]The Sixaxis/PS3 DualShock. Uses a special broken version of the Bluetooth protocol and requires a special driver, as well
[/list]

And both the wiimote and the sixaxis has support on normal linux 2.6 kernel.
+1

The sixaxis linux drivers have been compiled and are actually the only binaries in the official repository. They haven't been tested on a Pandora yet, but since they compiled ok, it should only take minor tweaking to get them working.

Frogboy said:
Open source home consoles have been tried before. It doesn't work.
Actually...they've never been "tried" before- they never got past varying design stages.

If you're referring to Indrema, it never got out of the gate because of the downturn cutting off funds.
If you're talking about "Gamix", it was a nifty idea (akin to Games for Windows) VERY poorly executed.

Past those two attempts there's never really been a FOSS console at the commercial level attempted- any other projects have been truly hobby projects. I should know...I've been at this FOSS stuff for a VERY long time and in the game space for quite a bit of that. :D

As for a Home Console, the Beagleboard comes close to that bill. Add an extra SDHC slot and the extra memory and you'd have something in that weighs in between the GC and the Wii. As Nintendo has shown, eye candy IS important, but gameplay trumps that. If we had access to about 3-4 times the GPU and a dual or quad A9 SoC on a board like the Beagle, this would be credible in the home console space.

The Pandora is only cool because there's nothing else like it. On the other hand, there's nothing unique about a low-end standardized PC running Linux with legacy TV outputs and dedicated controllers; that's exactly what's in every damn console out today, except for the open source OS (with full damn hardware support!) bit. Who would sell it with no guaranteed game sales? Who would buy it, for that matter? The game console model is based on selling platform-exclusive games, eking the most out of outdated, non-upgradable hardware; all of a FOSOS console's games would be playable on any gaming PC out there, and at better settings (for less money, eventually)! There's simply no reason to play on a game console, unless it has exclusive games you can't yet emulate on PC; the FOSS console would, by definition, have none.

Let's see, a dedicated, at-home system that you can run linux or other open source software on, play games, and other things like that, with hardware comparable to consoles on the market today.
nope, nothing that fills THAT niche.

My computer runs Linux, plays games, and has hardware comparable to consoles on the market today.

However, my computer only has one set of inputs. I had a whole post written about this, but basically, consoles have local multiplayer, which you could implement on a regular Linux PC and then say that's your console.

So, does anybody know how to plug 4 controllers into a PC?

Back