Contract phone advice

Garrett

Advanced Member
I'm starting a new job soon & could do with a new phone as my old Xperia Pro has seen better days.

I've never had a device on contract & would appreciate peoples thoughts/experiences with the various providers & more recent Android handsets..

I'm looking for something with good media capabilities/battery life (long commute) a fairly large & good quality screen.

I'm also looking for something that copes well with all the high end games & emulators so I could leave my tablet at home, capacity for large SD card storage would be useful too.

Thanks.

I'm starting a new job soon & could do with a new phone as my old Xperia Pro has seen better days.

I've never had a device on contract & would appreciate peoples thoughts/experiences with the various providers & more recent Android handsets..

I'm looking for something with good media capabilities/battery life (long commute) a fairly large & good quality screen.

I'm also looking for something that copes well with all the high end games & emulators so I could leave my tablet at home, capacity for large SD card storage would be useful too.

Thanks.
Not sure what the battery will be in practice, but a Note 3 might be a good option. I know in the US people dont buy phones unless they are on contract. I know very few people here that /dont/ have a contract. For me, its just an accepted practice and the reality of mobile technology. Its never phased me as being annoying or constricting. And you get your phone for cheap :)

I've never had a device on contract
I'd like to tell you to keep it that way, but I have no idea what the contracts are like in the UK. Maybe they aren't complete rip offs like they are for North American providers.

It depends how often you want a new phone, and how much you use it. Personally I spend about 2 quid a month on my pay-as-you-go sim, and my current phone is five years old and I'm still happy with it, so even though I paid over 300gbp for it, that only works out at 60 quid a year, or about 85 quid including calls. I dare anyone to show my a contract I can get for that that includes a smartphone.

I can't really comment on things in the UK, but if there are MNVOs around, I'd say look into those. For me it was significantly cheaper to go this route, but I am in the U.S...The phone I have is "old" but for $20.84 USD I get unlimited everything, so no complaints from me. 

See if the job supplies a phone before you go buying one :p

But seriously.. go for an iPhone.. Less mucking around and plenty of apps / games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the UK has plenty of MNVOs - most of the supermarkets have one, there are various others targetting overseas calls (for the immigrant population, mainly) and a few others mainly run as sub-brands my the main operators. I'm on Giffgaff, an O2 (Telefonica) subsidiary, and while I only use them as a straightforward pay and you go operator, they do offer bundles, so for 12 quid a month you can get unlimited internet and texts and enough minutes to be on the phone for 40 minutes a week. For me, with my low usage it'd be cheaper for me to be on 3 (three - hutchison telecom) with their 321 tarrif, but for the time being I've got too much money on my giffgaff account. I'll probably switch when I run low though.

Edit: Worth bearing in mind the OP was asking about phone advice, rather than actually asking about phone contracts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back