controlling the sd write cpu usage

Jey123456

Well, my issue isnt exactly the cpu usage, and more off the fact that the whole thing end up stuck 100% in %wa (shown in top), every time an async write happen.

As a general usage, its not much of an issue, so long as you dont multitask too much. but if your lets say, downloading a file throttled down at 500kb/sec and try to play some psx at the same time. the emulation will "freeze" every 2 secs or so for 0.5-1sec, at the same exact time the sd usage led show up. Reading from sd doesnt seem to cause the same lockup, i just hope there is a way to avoid the issue (even if it mean my sd end up being slow to write to).

I have a tendency to download a bunch of vids to listen on it, while i play, so that i have them available once im out of my network.

Doing a bit of tests, setting top to 0.2 delay, and watching what happen every time the sd get written to, i noticed that all the cpu goes from idle, to %wa. I can understand if this is required to get the max speed out of the current sd driver, but is there a way to tune it down so that it doesnt freeze just as long ?

The lockup also doesnt seem to happen when writing to the nand. i didnt try if an usb drive would cause that issue or not. if it doesnt, i guess ill use an usb flash drive instead of the sd card, but i would really prefer using the sd card since my usb is already busy with a 802.11n adapter and plugging in a hub would be a bit of a pain.

Back