GP32 Converting Wav files

Cyclops

I'm nearly finished my fist program example, I'm on my last leg. Just got to do some code clean ups and finish the sound I'm using the converter to geraterate .h files because its been useful in generating images. Took me a while to work out how to index paletts in gimp, but now everthing is looking pretty. I used audacity to edit some wav files(fatastic program btw) I created only to discover that the converter can only handle 8 n 24 bit wav files. Shaking my head in dispair I went looking for an open sorce bit convertor, nothing was out there(that I could find). I downloaded a couple of shareware programs all of which seemed very nice although I couldn't convert the wave anymore :( I had similar problems with my bmp files at first. I wondered if anyone else was converting their wavs, people must be having the same problems. btw is it true no midi yet?

I know I can use 16bit graphics, although I have stopped playing with this in frustration(added the libaries etc etc works in c but not c++), plus I like the idea of keeping everything tight with 256 colours. I used gimp because its to do my convertion it took some figuring out. but splatterings of examples got me through. I assume most ppl are using a similar method of putting all the in one large image and working out the indexed palette from there, apart from this being pretty time consuming to do this, and re-index all my files again, convert them recompile. I cant belive there is not a program out there that will do this, until recently PC-s often only had 256 colours. I read th example that uses an example of an adaptive palette(not sure how to do this in gimp), I assume this idea can be done in software, It would limit the colours of your sprites, but could be done relativly easily.

I also have a minor niggle, I use windows, I look at the makefiles that have been created, and they often call programs available in the shell, eg del or FxeMaker.exe, these just don't work, so I put them in my them in my batch files, this would be useful esp as I have noticed some of the gba developers use this method to convert some of there graphics files.

One thing I have done with the program I have been working on is to convert the program from 640 x 480 to 320x240 which is fine although I had to change more logic than I liked, and wondered how other had dealt with this there are a few obvious solutions that spring to mind, although I do not want to recreate someone elses wheel.

Finally I have loved the sources/tutorials that ppl have made available is there any chance that us as a community can put these in one place(I know there's yahoo but it sucks) with a sorceforge frontend as this is a barrier for new developers, and would avoid much duplicate.

PS anyone done any convertion regarding allegro(espeacially those .dat files I'm using wallgrab to get at these)/sdl(never looked at) just out of interest.

Hi some simple advice that wil get you a long way

One thing I have done with the program I have been working on is to convert the program from 640 x 480 to 320x240 which is fine although I had to change more logic than I liked, and wondered how other had dealt with this there are a few obvious solutions that spring to mind, although I do not want to recreate someone elses wheel.

If doing this did cause you a lot of issues like you said then you must have hard coded your values. Never do this, make the source easy to modify simple variables like screen size, num_tiles and so on.

#define SCREEN_SIZE_X 320
#define SCREEN_SIZE_Y 240
#define TILES_X 32
#define TILES_Y 24

- Even better, expose these variables in a text file, and parse that text file at run-time, this way you dont even need to recompile when you want to play with new settings. When you are ready to release your program then remove access to the text config file or make it into binary or whatever, leave it there for players to modify.. lots of possibilities here store your objects variables in these files, max_speed/acceleration/fire_rate.. you get my drift?

Obviously i dont know anything about the project you are working on but these are some comon mistakes (or lack of coding disipline) i often see in beginer to intermediate programs. Using the comon variables, when you do want to use the source code on another system (PC/XBOX/PS2 or whatever) you just modify the #defines. The trick here is to use your defines all the way through the source code, if you skip only 1 and 'hard code a value' then all hell will break loose with your logic. I have a 3D engine where i can change the screen resolution from 1x1 pixel right up to the largest screen size possible, all resolutions are supported and apart from lack of visual quality in the smaller resolutions the same areas are always visible across all resolutions.

g'luck with your game most of all enjoy the programming experience :)

Back