Convince Me Into Buying A Gp2x

JaseDaMase said:
Hello again, I've seen a First Edition on ebay, anything I should know about the First Edition compared to more recent models or model?
Yes, the first edition has an unplayable joystick. I would stick with an MK2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't read all the replies but on the topic, buy a GP2x because it has raw power for other than, you know, 3D fluff racing/shooter games.

It really has the potential for mindblowing 2D pixel wizardry with those CPU cores. Some stuff realize that potential, many don't, yet. You won't see innovation on the PSP, because everyone will use that 3D chip and port lofi versions of better 3D games.

I looked at a PSP before the GP2x cos I wanted to play Mercury :) What made me switch was

1) TV-out ! !
2) ffs... all that runs on 2 AA batteries, mindblowing!
3) hated the PSP sliding button type analog joy that made my car swerve like crazy and put in a stupid place
4) hated the blue ghosting of the PSP screen
5) when PSP gets replaced by the next hot thing, the open GP2x will keep developing

my 0.02 Euro :)

Buying based on each machines strengths;

I'd stick with the PSP for commercial games and have a GP2X for homebrew. Now, if Sony had welcomed homebrew instead of crushing it with firmware updates, it might be a different story?

Pros: NES support is great, same with NeoGeo, and handful of other emu's listed.

Cons: Biggest quarrel with the GP2X: SNES. If you turn on transparencies, there are games where you can't even play due to the low framerate.

Back