Cool Mp3 Player. Yet Another? Yes, But Different

DaveC

Internal Development
Here is a player with a twist. It is like a normal player only speakers fold out for non earphone play if you want it. It also has a FM radio and alarm clock. Very seksee :) Oh yeah and a new fangled color OLED display too. Kind of pricey though.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2010974,00.asp

SamsungK5-thumb.jpg

good idea
but what i really want is an apple nano and shuffle rivel (i mean is size, and is still as good.)
a good rival to the ipod video aswell which is also just as thin. i mean mp3 player developers have just given up.

pantera6 posted on Sep 20 2006 at 09:32 AM said:
good idea
but what i really want is an apple nano and shuffle rivel (i mean is size, and is still as good.)
a good rival to the ipod video aswell which is also just as thin. i mean mp3 player developers have just given up.
You know, one day your wish will be granted and mp3 devs will give you a fucking post-it note with a revolutionary cell battery that's the thiness of a human hair. Unfortunately, you'll sit down with it in your pocket and it'll snap in two ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Sep 20 2006 at 03:20 PM said:
pantera6 posted on Sep 20 2006 at 09:32 AM said:
good idea
You know, one day your wish will be granted and mp3 devs will give you a fucking post-it note with a revolutionary cell battery that's the thiness of a human hair. Unfortunately, you'll sit down with it in your pocket and it'll snap in two ;)

so so true, when i first saw the ipod nano, i thought,
ill give it two days in my pocket...

This is a very cool find Dave! Your right though- it is quite pricey considering the limited 4 gb capacity. The speaker idea is awesome; I own an Ericsson W600 phone with external speakers for mp3 playback, and it's awesome for certain situations

DaveC posted on Sep 19 2006 at 09:51 PM said:
Here is a player with a twist. It is like a normal player only speakers fold out for non earphone play if you want it. It also has a FM radio and alarm clock. Very seksee :) Oh yeah and a new fangled color OLED display too. Kind of pricey though.

Add an AM tuner to that, and it's the top in portable audio. :)

- Alex

triksR4rabits posted on Sep 20 2006 at 06:05 PM said:
This is a very cool find Dave! Your right though- it is quite pricey considering the limited 4 gb capacity. The speaker idea is awesome; I own an Ericsson W600 phone with external speakers for mp3 playback, and it's awesome for certain situations
But bloody infuriating if you happen to be sitting next to someone with that kind of phone on a bus. Arrgh.

DaveC posted on Sep 20 2006 at 01:51 AM said:
You forgot whining about the custom li-ion battery. ;)

Alex. posted on Sep 20 2006 at 06:06 PM said:
DaveC posted on Sep 19 2006 at 09:51 PM said:

Add an AM tuner to that, and it's the top in portable audio. :)

- Alex

The reason that most of these devices don't have an AM tuner is because AM requires a ferrite bar antenna. They are BIG for these devices and would increase the size even more.

And Fishbong, yes the custom battery is a downer. The good news is that Samsung is not likely to go out of business like Tapwave and GP or GPH may. So you will probably be able to replace the battery although it would probably be expensive, yeah the battery part blows.

A bit OT:
It seems that Samsung is going crazy with OLED (which this has) development. It really is the display of the future. I have seen color OLED screens and they just scream "the future". LCDs are OK but compared to OLED they suck. An LCD is just a light valve that lets light through a color filter. So you have a backlight to emit light and an LCD panel to block the backlight in certain levels to make an image. It is kind of getting old. LCDs have poor viewing angles and often look unevenly lit. They have SLOW response times giving ghosting/blurring with fast motion. They can't do perfect black and the best you can achieve is a good level of "dark grey" or in most cases "dark blue". This light leaking can cause loss in shadow detail as darker values will wash out in the backlight haze. LCDs in large panel sizes get expensive as the glass has to be very thick. If the glass is too thin the liquid inside can press the glass out giving an un-even look. We don't realize how bad LCDs are because it is all we have and have nothing much better to compare to. CRTs are dim, fuzzy, heavy and bulky, have geometry and convergence issues. People in the future will pick up antiques with LCDs and think " God, people used to USE these things? you move your head 1 degree and the color and contrast go to hell, how primitive"

OLED screens have no backlight. The pixels actually emit light instead of blocking it. It does PERFECT blacks and gives super shadow detail, stunning contrast. With an LCD in a dark room even in dark scenes in movies you can always see the boundaries of the screen because of the backlight glow. With an OLED if you are in a dark room all you will see is the image. When a pixel is off it emits no light AT ALL. The response time is superior as well. It is much faster than even a good CRT. They can be made much more durable as well (some OLED screens are actually flexible) and don't freeze at low temperatures like LCDs. They are 20% more power efficient and cost less to make than an LCD. Imagine a wall sized HDTV that is only a couple of centimeters thick. Viewing angle? If you can see the screen it looks the same at any angle, no color and brightness shifting like an LCD. So if they are so great why aren't they replacing LCDs right now? Life time. The current OLEDs just don't last long enough to be used in something with alot of use like a TV. For things like MP3 players and cell phones that aren't left on all day they are fine. They don't lose their brightness evenly either. The blue emmitter goes first, so whites will get yellow, etc. That is the bad (it is always something). They will eventually get the lifetimes up though, and when they do LCD and Plasma will go the way of the Dodo.

More here:

http://www.oled-info.com/image/tid/45

triksR4rabits posted on Sep 20 2006 at 06:05 PM said:
This is a very cool find Dave! Your right though- it is quite pricey considering the limited 4 gb capacity.

Yeah but at least it is solid state flash memory. For some reason micro hard drives with spinning motors and moving parts just seem like a bad idea in a portable device such as an MP3 player to me.

Back