Cooling The Gp32 Processor.

Shadow of Chaos

Website
Visit site
Wondering if its possible to increase the volts to the CPU, and add some heatsink to it for testing? i opened mine up and tried a little piece of aluminium i had and put some Arctic silver 3 thermal paste onto the CPU and fired up, it didnt help as my GP32 still crashed at about 166Mhz.. i have not tried increasing voltage.

For the next Gamepark console i would also like to see the battery placement away from directly where it is now, right near the damn cpu!.. if we want to use better heatsinks then impossible with the battery placement in the way, a north bridge cooler would fit well in there.

i bet if we could do this with sufficience then you could get alot more from the GP console.

What do you think?

personally i'd rather see more software coming out that acknowledges the fact that the GP32 really only has a 133mhz processor and tailors itself accordingly... like when that abstract shoot-em-up came out recently and it looked really nice but the frameskip was choppy there were a few posts that were like 'OMG!!! IF THIS WAS OVERCLOCKED TO 180MHZ THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!!!!'

for me, i would rather it was recoded with the effects turned down slightly. if the number of squares displayed was halfed, the frames would shoot up, and no silly overclocking necessary. *and* the increase in framerate would improve the visual quality no end...

that's what i reckon, anyway...

Wondering if its possible to increase the volts to the CPU, and add some heatsink to it for testing? i opened mine up and tried a little piece of aluminium i had and put some Arctic silver 3 thermal paste onto the CPU and fired up, it didnt help as my GP32 still crashed at about 166Mhz.. i have not tried increasing voltage.

For the next Gamepark console i would also like to see the battery placement away from directly where it is now, right near the damn cpu!.. if we want to use better heatsinks then impossible with the battery placement in the way, a north bridge cooler would fit well in there.

i bet if we could do this with sufficience then you could get alot more from the GP console.

What do you think?

There has been no evidence that making the CPU cool will make it overclock more. Someone actually put one in the fridge and tried to overclock more but got the exact same results as when it is un-cooled. It is voltage related.

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting it in the fridge wont do anything, trust me.. in fact that could ruin it due to condensation.

By the time you are playing a game on the GP32 it would heat up and get to normal temps in a couple of mins easily.. using a heatsink on the CPU would constantly cool it and prevent it from overheating and crashing, more volts = stability + heat, but with a heatsink = cool and problem (more than likely) solved.

obviously no one has ventured far enough to test if this works, if i knew how to do the volt mod i would probably give it a go, but im no good at soldering so..

hmm what was that shooter called?
and where can i get it? (it's free i assume)

I think they are talking aboput noiz2sa, try searching the news archive of gp32x for it or try searching gp32spain. Perhaps you can find it in the new gp32x file archive

Or, if nothing helps, google for it.

people should learn to optimize, instead of trying to overclock their machines

As far as i know, the temperuture of the CPU doesn´t actually raise if you are overclocking it... when i done a Vmod to my gp32_console , i tested this by running progs from 33 up to 166 MHz, but it didn´t make any difference, so i guess heatsinks are useless there. Also, afaik, on PC processors the heat sinks cool the cpu so it won´t get destroyed by heat, they don´t help to clock it higher.

yeah but some things like snes are about at the point where it's as good as it's going to get

i don't think that you can optimize it much more on a 166 processor

it seems like it would be easier to find a way to overclock the hell out of the gp32

ofcourse snes emulation could be smooth on gp32. All you need to do is learn to fucking optimize :)

That or.. someone have a cheap + fast volt mod service, i bet that would sort the speed problems out on snes emu. it wouldnt surprise me if we got an easy 240mhz out of any gp32 or more.

The processors heat isn't the problem. I beleive the instability is caused by the FSB/RAM, although I'm no hardware expert.

Back