Corruption On Widescreen

BaDToaD

"Very" Old Timer
Website
cwhippogames.wixsite.com
OK here's the prob. I've been happily converting my DVD comedy collection into GP32 format with great success. Red Dwarf, Black Books, Dangermouse etc All of which work perfectly in GP cinema but they are all full screen.

However when I try to do a widescreen file for example I've started on my Bablylon 5 collection I get corruption on the screen. Not awful corruption but enough to be damn annoying and distracting. I'm using a filter to resize the resolution to 320 x 190. The file plays fine on the PC. Anyone got any ideas?

EIDT: I'm wondering if the vertical height has to be a precise figure not just a guess because it looks right?

Are you using any form of frame dropping at any stage? That - and a bitrate of 60kb/s with dual pass (it just gives up for the bottom of the screen and leaves it as it was until the next keyframe comes up if there's a lot of action) - are the only things I've found that produce a video that plays but with corruption issues. GPC in my experience is remarkably tollerant of odd sizes - I've used 320x196, 320x176, 320x182, 320x212, 160x88, and all have worked fine. Bear in mind I always encode in DivX 4.12 though, since I find it simpler than X-vid.

If it was a crash, I'd suggest there's a bad frame *right* at the start of the movie that your PC can skip without you knowing its there, but the GP doesn't do as well with. But it isn't - its corruption, which rather limits the possibilities.

Cheers guys. Looks like dozer hit the nail on the head with the multiple of 16 thing. I just changed from 190 to 192 and so far so good. I'll know for sure when I encode a whole episode but the test seemed ok.

Goity posted on Oct 2 2004 at 12:28 PM said:
win 98 can't skip bad frames
what have a os to do with the possibilitys of a video player?

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know but i do know that windows media 9 on xp skips bad frames but on 98 doesnt

Back