Could This Be Ported

Well since there is source code for it, it is possible to port it.

However, we don't have Game Maker for GP2X or the sourcecode to it. So someone would either have to reverse engineer Game Maker and write an interpreter for it, or rewrite the game in some other language, such as (some easy examples) Fenix, GLBasic, or Game Editor.

Even if GameMaker were ported I doubt this game would run very well on GP2X. Notice that the frame rate takes some small-ish dips (don't count the times where it pauses, since I guess the frame counter is generated by how much the screen actually changes).

A friend of mine who's familiar with GameMaker says that this particular game would probably require a 1.5GHz+ PC to run okay.

I don't think anything from Game Maker can be ported, since it just needs so much power:

Game Maker Help file said:
Game Maker requires a modern Pentium PC running Windows 2000, Me, XP, Vista, or later. A DirectX 8 (or later) compatible graphics card with at least 32MB of memory is required for most created games. It requires a screen resolution of at least 800x600 and 65000 (16-bit) colors. Also a DirectX 8 compatible sound card is required. Make sure you have the most recent drivers installed. Game Maker requires DirectX version 8.0 or later to be installed on your computer. (You can download the newest version of DirectX from the Microsoft website at: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/.) When designing and testing games, the memory requirements are pretty high (at least 128 MB and preferably more, also depending on the operating system). When just running games, the memory requirements are less severe and depend a lot on the type of game.
I'm not sure how much you know about the Game Maker community(since I actually come from there), but there's someone working on a tool similar to game maker that will be able to open these files up and turn them to pure C++ code, so I'm guessing you're going to have to wait for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would certainly be fun trying to create an interpreter for GameMaker without having the GM sourcecode. It would be like creating an emulator from scratch.

Is there many GM-type decent games that could be ported?

Squidge said:
It would certainly be fun trying to create an interpreter for GameMaker without having the GM sourcecode. It would be like creating an emulator from scratch.

My favorite was always Goomba's Revenge, though I don't know if it's available anymore... That's the game I edited to get my start in programming!

Squidge said:

I wish. There are a decent few, but most of them are (bad) mario fangames. Game Maker attracts a lot of 12 year olds because it's easy to use.

Back