Couple of Quake 2 issues

Disco Devil

Still Fresh
Can't play more than a couple of seconds without it freezing (and have to hard reset) anyone know what could be causing this..? i know there is supposed to be some way to optimise (reduce sensitivity etc) nub control, but i can't find the thread & are you now able to save the settings and games..?

Thanks.

I played through the first several levels... maybe a bad copy of the data files to the Pandora? SD cards to strange things sometimes...

Can't play more than a couple of seconds without it freezing (and have to hard reset) anyone know what could be causing this..? i know there is supposed to be some way to optimise (reduce sensitivity etc) nub control, but i can't find the thread & are you now able to save the settings and games..?

Thanks.

I found this issue to be clock speed related - at 800+ it does tend to freeze but running at 600 appears to be stable at least on my Pandora.

At 600 it still runs very well.

Thanks.

I found this issue to be clock speed related - at 800+ it does tend to freeze but running at 600 appears to be stable at least on my Pandora.

At 600 it still runs very well.

That's interesting i will give it a try, i am usually clocking at around 850

Thanks.

OK here's an update..

I can play for longer if i reduce the speed, but it still locks up the Pandora everytime i play sometimes when i'm hit, sometimes when i die & sometimes when nothing much is happening.

I have tried multiple different speeds & opp levels (no change) deleted and redumped the files (from original game disk) tried different SD cards & also tried the dumped files on my Galaxy S, where ironically it runs super smooth without any problems whatsoever.

Is there anything else left i can try..?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on OPP 5.

Video set to 800 x 480 Nanogl OpenGL

Sound quality low

Saving works perfectly by the way

I am on OPP 5.

Video set to 800 x 480 Nanogl OpenGL

Sound quality low

Saving works perfectly by the way

Ist'nt OPP5 just overkill reducing the pandas life time. i use the same settings except am using OPP3 clocked to 695 and dont have any major issues (worst that ever happens is it might skip a frame ever 5 or so minutes but its not regular enough to spoil the game in the slightest). i use the same for quake 3 and not had issues there neither.

Glad it's working well for others here, i however still can't play (just tried the Steam version which presumably has the latest patch applied) for any significant length of time before it locks up the Pandora & i have to hard reset.

Can anyone suggest anything at all that i haven't already tried (see above) before i finally give up with this..?

Thanks.

Glad it's working well for others here, i however still can't play (just tried the Steam version which presumably has the latest patch applied) for any significant length of time before it locks up the Pandora & i have to hard reset.

Can anyone suggest anything at all that i haven't already tried (see above) before i finally give up with this..?

Thanks.

Am not brilliant with this kinda stuff but you could try reducing the texture quality abit and see if that your stability?

also all the settings are in hidden files in the quake folder press ctrl +H to view i think. not sure how to alter them but there are some pre made config and setting files floating round the forum i believe blue protoman posted so some where.

I can run Quake2 @ 500mhz at the default OPP without tweaking anything and it runs full speed.. I'm not sure what performance issues other people are having...

Really there is not much need to overclock as the SGX is bottleneck, also overclocking at higher speed will cause greater instability because neon intructions are compiled in.

600 Mhz should be a reasonable speed to run.

Edit: Also make sure you running the latest HF as those include sgx drivers

I got my Pandora recently (part of the last 50 board batch) and Quake 2 locks up for me too exactly as per the original poster.

It plays tantalisingly fine (and looks great on the screen) for the few minutes it works - then it locks up hard needing a complete reset of the pandora to bring it back.

This happens at 500Mhz, 600Mhz and anything above.

I'm using the Steam Quake2 files.

This happens on Hotfix 5, and hotfix 6 Alpha4.

Any ideas? It would be great to play it on the Pandora, but right now it's not possible.

Disco Devil, did you ever get this sorted?

Mine still locks up and is unusable. :(

Thought i had the issue sorted by using the most recent official quake patch(3.20) as i'm not using the steam version, but after a indeterminate time of smooth play it locks up. Very unfortunate as i thought the issue had been solved, should point out that i'm on a batch 1 pandora using superzaxxon b4. i'll attempt to provide logs when i next crash perhaps this will help find a solution.

Back