Couple Of Quick Questions

andyhamer

How do i put my own desktop wallpaper on XFCE & what size and format does it have to be?, and can i create specific folders on the desktop eg: Emulators, Media, Browsers, Apps etc (pref with my own icons) so i can make everthing look a bit neater

Right-click on the desktop, click "Desktop Settings", and click the "+" button that's located below the list of built-in images, and you'll be able to browse for whatever desktop background you happen to want to use. I would advise putting these on the NAND, in your home directory (the one bearing your name, which you'll see listed at the left-hand side when you open up the file manager) - just don't put too many there and eat up loads of space. If you put them on an SD Card, you may find that you occasionally end up with a black background that you have to change back to what you want again, if you have to remove your SD Card or some problem arises with it during use.

As for size and format, you'll need them to be 800x480 pixels, and you can use any standard image format that Linux supports. For space-saving's sake, I would recommend sticking exclusively to PNG and/or JPEG, depending on which of these is the most suitable for the particular image you wish to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right-click on the desktop, click "Desktop Settings", and click the "+" button that's located below the list of built-in images, and you'll be able to browse for whatever desktop background you happen to want to use. I would advise putting these on the NAND, in your home directory (the one bearing your name, which you'll see listed at the left-hand side when you open up the file manager) - just don't put too many there and eat up loads of space. If you put them on an SD Card, you may find that you occasionally end up with a black background that you have to change to what you want again if you remove your SD Card or some problem arises with it during use.

As for size and format, you'll need them to be 800x480, and you can use any standard image format that Linux supports. For space-saving's sake, I would recommend sticking exclusively to PNG and/or JPEG, depending on which of these is the most suitable for the particular image you wish to use.

OK, many thanks for that.. but i can't right click though (at least if the right nub, is the default for this) i press enter to launch everything & when i am transferring an image across which folder do i transfer it to?

Right-click on the desktop, click "Desktop Settings", and click the "+" button that's located below the list of built-in images, and you'll be able to browse for whatever desktop background you happen to want to use. I would advise putting these on the NAND, in your home directory (the one bearing your name, which you'll see listed at the left-hand side when you open up the file manager) - just don't put too many there and eat up loads of space. If you put them on an SD Card, you may find that you occasionally end up with a black background that you have to change to what you want again if you remove your SD Card or some problem arises with it during use.

As for size and format, you'll need them to be 800x480, and you can use any standard image format that Linux supports. For space-saving's sake, I would recommend sticking exclusively to PNG and/or JPEG, depending on which of these is the most suitable for the particular image you wish to use.

OK, many thanks for that.. but i can't right click though (in fact i can't use the nubs on the desktop at all) i press enter to launch everything & when i am transferring an image across which folder do i transfer it to?

EDIT:

Oddly the mouse buttons seem to be working fine now (touch wood) i hadn't used them for a day or so due to some very erratic behaviour.

OK, many thanks for that.. but i can't right click though (at least if the right nub, is the default for this) i press enter to launch everything & when i am transferring an image across which folder do i transfer it to?
Right-clicking is typically done by shifting the right nub to the right, by default. You can hold the stylus (or a fingernail, if you prefer) in place on the touch-screen for several moments in the location that you want to right-click to get the same effect, though.

As for which folder, what I do personally is have a folder called "Desktops" located in my home directory (as before, if you open up the file manager, you'll see that listed in the left-hand pane), which is where my desktop backgrounds go. You can't go far wrong if you put them there. :p

No doubt i am probably missing something incredibly simple here, i have placed my image (correct size & format) in my SD card: pandora> desktop> folder, but when i click on the plus arrow & select the Desktop folder, it is empty.. where am i going wrong?

Never mind i figured it out, still would appreciate some guidance with the specific folder creation thing though.

That folder is only for causing PNDs to appear on the desktop. It's not used to display files. I've never thought of it before, but stepping back I can see where that might be a bit confusing. :lol:

As I said before, you'll need to create a folder in your home directory on the Pandora for this - open the file manager in Xfce, click on the folder shown in the left-hand pane which is named with your username, and then create a new folder there (in the right-hand pane) just as you would on any other OS (right-click -> "Create Folder"). Name it whatever you want (better to keep it short, so something like "Desktops" or "Wallpapers" will do nicely), and then copy the desktop background(s) you want to use into there.

EDIT: Ninja'd a bit, but hopefully what I've said should act as a pointer. Hopefully. :p

Back