Cp Design's Iphone Game Pad Prototype

Uh...Clem

Still Fresh
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/26/cp-designs-iphone-game-pad-prototype-does-donkey-kong-country-r/

Looks nicer than the iCP to be honest, but these guys are at the same stage that Craig was a few years ago.

Craigs has nubs. But yeah, I'll believe it when I see it ship.

TBH, depending on how the Droid X progresses, I'd like to see one made for it. That would be pretty neat...

Nova said:
I still don't know what the dual nubs will be used for. Even one nub will only be useful for a handful of PSX games (and N64, if it ever gets up to a playable speed). This style goes back to the original iCP design, which I preferred.

Last edited by a moderator:
quote said:
Nova said:
I still don't know what the dual nubs will be used for. Even one nub will only be useful for a handful of PSX games (and N64, if it ever gets up to a playable speed). This style goes back to the original iCP design, which I preferred.

Quake/Doom :)

Craig's icontrolpad has dual analogs , a more comfortable layout and it extends the battery . However it seemed that he was having trouble with apple and the icontrolpad is not pocketable. Also the icontrolpad is very delayed.

Nova said:
Quake/Doom :)
Would be nice, but those two games alone do not justify the need for two analog sticks. Ah well, they're readily available to Craig thanks to the Pandora so hopefully they won't add much to the price.

Edit: Come to think of it, I doubt these guys have support from Zodttd. It seems that they either coded their own emulator so they could use the serial port (unlikely) or they used bluetooth, which would be pretty inefficient.

maplesugarlover said:
Quake and doom don't need analog. I play them on my laptop with just keyboard.
You play without mouse?

I have a macbook so my layout might be different than yours.
arrow keys to move, option to strafe, control to shot and the numbers 1-9 to switch weapons. The spacebar is also used to open door or in quake 1 jump. In quake you also need look up and look down keys. In the classic dooms you can type in codes for things. Here are the 2 I remember :IDKFA --Full health, ammo, weapons, armor,keys and IDDQD - god mode . I've only played all the classic dooms and quake one. You might want a mouse for later quake games.

Quake works without freely looking around. It can also be played with on screen controls. That doesn't mean it's fun, though. Mouse & keyboard would be best, a dual analog setup is the second best option.

There are quite a few possible shooter ports beyond Quake and Doom that could use dual analog. Quake 2, Quake 3, Descent series, Duke 3D, lots of games and mods based on these engines...

An analog stick also is a much better controller for racing games. Twin stick shooters won't work without them. A stick might even be useful in things like Transport Tycoon if touchscreen control with a finger isn't quite precise enough.

^ I was talking about the games available on the iPhone, not how useful dual-analogs are in general :).

iControlpad isn't only supposed to be for iPhone and it's availability might be the thing that motivates developers to make/port games like that because it wasn't even possible/fun to play them before.

Back