GP2X Cpu Advice Needed

Flexinoodle

OK we are interested in making an MP3 Player with pitch control much like the pitch on a turntable, Basically we need some advice from any guys out there who have had the board for a while and know what the ability of the CPU is, Do you think there is enough power there to create a small port of something that is already available for Linux or would we need to go HH or is there just not enough CPU.

We have worries about the CPU muscle needed for a nice bicubic interpolation which is needed really for the pitch(Tempo) change to be high enough quality, I haven't looked around yet to see what is available as source for porting because i have only just talked the coder i work with to do it, He's busy doin other stuff but when i said it may be able to be done in Linux it got him interested heheheheh.

Anyway thanx in advance for any advice ;)

OK we are interested in making an MP3 Player with pitch control much like the pitch on a turntable, Basically we need some advice from any guys out there who have had the board for a while and know what the ability of the CPU is, Do you think there is enough power there to create a small port of something that is already available for Linux or would we need to go HH or is there just not enough CPU.

We have worries about the CPU muscle needed for a nice bicubic interpolation which is needed really for the pitch(Tempo) change to be high enough quality, I haven't looked around yet to see what is available as source for porting because i have only just talked the coder i work with to do it, He's busy doin other stuff but when i said it may be able to be done in Linux it got him interested heheheheh.

It's kind of hard to tell. I'm assuming that there will be lots of floats in this bicubic intepolation function.

The best idea would be to create some performance tests to run the most complex usage you would generally use the tool for, and then run it recording mem usage and cpu utilisation.

To create this test.... if you have class bicubic.cpp, then create bicubic-test.cpp as a main class, and have it call functions with your test data.

Last edited by a moderator:

The gp32 mp3player needs 66Mhz cpuclock to decode/playback any mp3 @ normal speed. To do some pitch, up to 4x, the 200Mhz of the gp2x is more you ever need. No need for HH, linux would be enought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah sorry i should have been clearer, We don't just want pitch we want quality pitch too, Nothing like windows media players pitch for instance (Which is really really funny to say the least)

Back