Cpu Speed Not Resetting After Powersave Mode

KitCallen

Still Fresh
That's pretty much it.
I flick the power switch right, leave it alone for a few hours. Come back, flick to right, the screen comes on, but it's working beyond slow. I finally manage to get to the settings and check the CPU speed.
14 mhz!

Seeing as it takes longer to reset the speed than to just boot it up, I'd really like to get this fixed. It's done this every time I've used powersaving mode.
Thanks in advance!

Haha it's nice when all it has to do keep the clock set, but I'd like computing speed when I come back to it.

Seriously, though, this makes powersaving mode unusable. I'm charging every day!

That must be my problem too. I never put it into powersave because of this "feature"

I had a horrible time today with the sleep switch, or whatever it is. We can just call it the "screw up your Pandora" switch. I was stupid and flicked it to the right more than once because I wasn't sure it registered, so I was in a cycle of going in/out of the low power mode. I eventually got fed up and removed the battery, and it was STILL in the super slow mode after bootup. Finally got to a desktop and cranked the speed back up.

If you open the lid while it's still in sleep mode or "screw up your Pandora" mode :p it will start to spaz-out. Try bringing it out of sleep mode while the lids still closed and see if that helps.

I noticed the exact same thing today, last week I came to my panda and opened the lid and it apeared to be in power save mode but wouldn't come out (probably just @14MHZ and taking a long time to do anything) so I reset it. When, then when it was booting the anngstrom Loading bar would get to just below halfway and the screen would shut off but the system was still running. I had to reflash the firmware to get it back to normal

The same thing happened today, but I was a little more patient and after a few minutes the system came back but was very slow, and as said above after a long time waiting went into CPU setting app and it was on 14Mhz so I set it to 500 again and all is back to normal. maybe standby CPU speed should be set to minimum of 150MHZ until this bug is solved.

Yeah, confirmed my system does the same - it runs so slowly that the right nub seemed to stop working, but after leaving it for a couple of minutes, it eventually returned to normal speed.

So at the moment I would agree that low power mode is a waste of time and that just turning it off and on is quicker.

I've got the same problem even with Hotfix 2 applied...
Annoying!

anyone else still having this problem after hotfix 3? because I am.

Also, it seems like I get a similar reaction (the 14 mhz thing) when I overclock sometimes. I overclock to say 755 one time and it runs super slow instead of fast (so slow that I can't get the overclock script to run again most times but NOT completely frozen either) and the next time I overclock to like 760 and it runs fast like it should. For the record, My pandora doesn't freeze up till I clock over 850. It seems random, I thought maybe it was because of an odd number clock? It's a very weird problem, if I can get the oc script to run again it shows the speed back at 500. I usually have to restart.

You're not the only one - I was experiencing the same if I tried to set my first or second Pandora's clock speed to 650MHz or thereabouts, and it persisted after Hotfix 3 for me, too.

I should note that I wasn't using the power-saving mode - I was just doing what MonkeyChops mentioned. :p

This is interesting, maybe some more settings produce garbage

EvilDragon said:
Until HF4 is released, do NOT clock exactly to 650 Mhz. Due to some small error in the algorithm, setting CPU Speed to 650 sets it to -1 MHz (whatever the OMAP does then... but it's slow).

So use 651 or 649 or something completely different - but not 650 :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that also apply to other X50 speeds, too? I seem to recall encountering it at ~755MHz at least once, too.

to be clear, the speeds I posted were arbitrary. One speed that I know it happened to me last night was at 806. I usually just overclock high and leave it, very rarely do I oc in the 6 and 7 hundreds.

I'll try to test some speeds tonight to verify that it happens every time.

as to the sleep problem, yea hitting the slider again after I open the pandora does the trick but still seems like a bug to me. Shouldn't it come completely out of sleep mode simply by opening the pandora? If it was designed to require a second slider action, I think that is dumb and I hope there is a way to work around it.

ED posted to the SNES thread going on in the general forum that there's a bug where setting the speed to 650 actually sets it -1, which does bad things apparently. A fix is forthcoming. I wonder if this is in any way related.

edit: whoops, meant to reply to this as well.
MonkeyChops said:
Shouldn't it come completely out of sleep mode simply by opening the pandora?
Actually the other way around. It shouldn't be turning the screen back on if it's in sleep mode. This bug is the result of two features designed to do two different things that only seem related. I believe ED is working on a fix, but he's got things that actually cause problems that need to be fixed. This is just a minor annoyance that will no doubt be fixed eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had some discussion about leaving sleep, and the conclusion appeared to be on the side of opening the lid restores speed to normal. That makes it possible to sleep with the lid open, and makes the power switch operation insensitive the the current (invisible) state of the powersave flag. The lid then becomes a sub-set of the power switch functionality. I have mine working like this already, and it's much better. It would be trivial enough to select between this, and the alternative (and still predictable) mode where the two events are un-connected. http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=85 and http://bugs.openpandora.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=142

Back