Crackling sound....

Bonks

HI there,

Just wanted to see if im the only one that seems to get the most irritating crackling sound in my GP32 when running some EMUs... mostly these are..

SCUMMGP, its livable but still very very annoying
GPvGB, crackles a lot when full screen, not so bad when small
and especially
GBSpeccie, when you turn the sound on it crackles like MAD and makes the sound unusable, even tho the sound is there and works fine

Is this just my unit???

Cheers

Bonks

Yeah, I think its something to do with the fact that a lot of the emulators are not finished yet. I guess sound emulation will be last on the list of priorities for the guy doing the coding. I get a bit of crackling from commercial games as well, I guess this is probably down to the compression or something.

I have tried the following games on SCUMM -

Indy 3\Zak Mckracken 256\Sam n Max\Day of the tentacle\Monkey island 2

and I have heard not one crackle - the only thing I have noticed that monkey island island to pauses for a couple of seconds(I guess its loading)..but no crackles there.

GBvgb - I use all the time - only crackles on a few games but most - no crackles and this is on full screen?

so -- does anyone else experience problems because I certainly don't?

emulators on any system are prone to crackling if the sound emulation isn't complete. I think it's just because it's not optimized and there's memory leaks, or it's just not actually 'emulating' that part of the system (and I mean that in the true sense of the word, ie mimicing to the exact degree). Some things can cause this - on a pc emulator, in windows if something happens, emulators often crackle up (mostly 8-bit stuff). Older emulators like Genecyst show this best. This is my explanation, anyway. Yes, I've noticed it on some emulators, and those emulators sound off anyway...but I haven't really tried SCUMM games to be honest.

One wild question to throw up. How do headphones affect this? Is this crackling/not crackling using them or not?

this is a problem with the old gamepark dev sound libs, it has been fixed now in the latest versions, the emus just need recompiling with the new ones.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Thanks for the reply guys, was just a bit worried it was just me :)

Someone tell ZardozJones to recompile his Speccie EMU NOW :p

Bonks

timthepig posted on Mar 19 2003 said:
I have tried the following games on SCUMM -

and I have heard not one crackle - the only thing I have noticed that monkey island island to pauses for a couple of seconds(I guess its loading)..but no crackles there.

GBvgb - I use all the time - only crackles on a few games but most - no crackles and this is on full screen?

so -- does anyone else experience problems because I certainly don't?
I didn't realise Zak McKracken worked - The version I have certainly doesn't. Is there a legal download of the game that works anywhere?

Last edited by a moderator:
GurtyGurt posted on Mar 19 2003 said:
One wild question to throw up. How do headphones affect this? Is this crackling/not crackling using them or not?
Nope, it's the same through headphones - I blamed the GP32 speakers first, what with them not even being able to get the stereo right!

Moviepark also crackles on videos that I encode under 24kb/s sound, does anyone know why this is? Is there another bitrate that doesn't crackle? Some videos won't allow me to go that high - but most do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slap some new batteries in... some decent ones, not the cheap ones where you get 100 for £1 !
:eek:

I'm having exactly the same problems..

I have brand spanking new batteries (Duracell Ultra's no less!), and all of the Scumm games have horrible crackling - to the point where I can't play them with the sound on.

Okay - so it is possible to have them run with no crackling...

and

this is a problem with the old gamepark dev sound libs, it has been fixed now in the latest versions, the emus just need recompiling with the new ones.

So I'm assuming that they haven't been recompiled (yet), so how can 2 GP32's play the same games with different sound quailty?

Oh well... new batteries have fixed most of the problems I've seen so far. As Craig says theres some new Dev Lib's out which may fix the problems so I guess you'll need to wait till the next release of the emu?

This is just a thought . . . where do they get their actual game files from? Downloaded from the internet or from the actual physical game itself (The diskette or cd)?

Also, I wanted to know exactly how one would go about getting the game file from an original and turnning it into a file playable by that scumm emulator? Does it play the game file like it would on a pc with no changes or what? And one last thing, has anyone made software that enables you to play your RM2K (RPG Maker 2000) games on the GP32?

~Just gimme a rusty axe and a Faygo and I'll calm down man !!!!~

game files SHOULD all come from the originals disks or CDs. usually, you would need to install disk versions to your PC to extract them. the files SCUMMvm needs are the .001/.000 files (from recent games) or .lfl/.lec (from older games), plus monster.sou for sound. none of the rest (e.g. pc audio drivers or executables) are needed.

--jo "directhex" shields

Back