Release Creating for games, but...

Jet

Still Fresh
Hello my friends!
Could you tell me: p&|a
1)What are popular games can be ported to Pandora? I wish to say, which games of last years (from 1999) have open source?
For example, Does Doom3 have open source?
2)What program we can seen on Pandora? For example, I read somewhere that GIMP running on Pandora without problems. Is it true?

I would imagine anything is possible on the pandora as long as it meets the following criteria

open source code
runs on a low spec computer... doom 3 wouldnt run on my last computer lol so i highly doubt that. think quake 3 era of graphics...1999 ish
has a keen developer/programmer willing to convert/port it

although saying that didnt someone strip doom 3 to work on a voodoo graphics card? http://www.3dfxzone.it/enboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1462 it prolly still wouldnt work even with that... lol

your topic title is a bit misleading though

If you're wondering if Program "X" will run on the Pandora consult this chart:
Poratbility Flowchart

Also, if the program exists in the Ångström repositories, it will likely be available for the Pandora at release. Or shortly thereafter, since some applications may need a bit of tweaking.

Also, just about anything you can find on Freshmeat may find it's way onto the Pandora as long as it's not X86 Specific, or doesn't rely on some package or technology that can't be ported over. If you find something exciting, and want to know if it would work. First, take a deep breath. Check the requirements. See if it requires something like X86 architecture, or OpenGL (not opengl/es), or a 2GHZ processor, and then think about asking if it can be ported. Or better yet, download the source and try your hand at cross compiling it yourself and see what happens!

Doom 3 does not have source yet, but ID has a track record of releasing their source eventually.
As it is, Doom 3 is very inefficient. It does a lot of pretty things that look good on a large PC screen that could be done better on a small handheld. As such, it's believed that (with a lot of optimization and partial rewrites) Doom 3 is the pinnacle of what the Pandora is capable of.
For a (short) list of games with source like you are looking for, Wikipedia has the answer: Commercial Games with source code

I think that I expressed not right.
I wish to ask, Can you sad the games, which being on Pandora now?

:wink: A-a-a... I think that I write right...

2) Yes, GIMP, Firefox 3 [And probably 3.5 when it comes out], and Pidgin will all be available on the Pandora. I suspect it will ship with these, since most distros include them by default.

Jet said:
And when the files will appeared in thin Pandora file archive?
As soon as you or someone else puts them there. I'd guess shortly after people acquire their Pandoras.

Most likely the developers that are working on Pandora projects will want to have an actual production-model in their hands to test their programs with before they put them in the repository, so we'll see files there a day or two after the Pandora starts arriving in -their- hands.

Because they haven't added them yet. Presumably they're still working on their programs or just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Why should they take the effort to put something on the archive now when there are still a few months they can continue to work on it?

I seen on one of this video that Pandora running Debian.
Is it desktop edition?
If yes, Is it mean that I can running games and application from desktop edition?

You can't run programs that are directly from a 'desktop edition' [x86] distribution, but since Debian is all open-source, many of the programs will be ported easily.

I mis-spoke a little. All the Debian repository is open-source. There are some Debian programs that are not closed-source, but all the programs that are Debian-approved are open-source. So like, Firefox, Konqueror, Thunderbird, knetwalk... whatever.

Back