Current Watching Thread

My "the best players don't take part" comment was aimed at Basketball, football, boxing and anything else that has a separate popular professional league/system. This includes tennis, where the best players do take part, but they dont give a shit what happens and the best players get knocked out early.

and even if YOU dont care about a lot of the sports there are millions of others who do (apart from the horse events, these dont belong in the olympics)
Just because many people agree doesn't make something objective.

A lot of work goes into it, and until you can do better, quit your critisism.
I didn't say they weren't good, I said it wasn't interesting. The only event that has absorbed me so far was the badminton, and now thats over.

LHC posted on Aug 22 2004 at 03:18 PM said:
My "the best players don't take part" comment was aimed at Basketball, football, boxing and anything else that has a separate popular professional league/system. This includes tennis, where the best players do take part, but they dont give a shit what happens and the best players get knocked out early.
Most boxers take part in the Olympics before they turn pro, Muhammed Ali (as Cassius Clay of course), Lennox Lewis etc.

There are Cubans who aren't allowed to turn pro though, some of them would undoubtably have been professional world champions if Communism didn't suck so much.

I'd get rid of tennis and where the hell is bowls?

I'm devastated about the marathon...

Last edited by a moderator:
thebluenewt posted on Aug 22 2004 at 05:43 PM said:
LHC posted on Aug 22 2004 at 03:18 PM said:
Most boxers take part in the Olympics before they turn pro, Muhammed Ali (as Cassius Clay of course), Lennox Lewis etc.

There are Cubans who aren't allowed to turn pro though, some of them would undoubtably have been professional world champions if Communism didn't suck so much.

I'd get rid of tennis and where the hell is bowls?

I'm devastated about the marathon...
have u seen the britids guy, last I saw he was hitting the crap outta the european champ and he is 17

and the portugese footbball team was pretty fucking awesome too

EDIT: post aimed at LHC

mattmagoo posted on Aug 23 2004 at 10:36 AM said:
have u seen the britids guy, last I saw he was hitting the crap outta the european champ and he is 17

The boxing makes me think 'why bother'? If the object isnt to find out which country has the best boxer, then what exactly is it? Who can cope best with a pile of silly regulations aimed at 'evening the playing field'? If you win, what exactly have you proved - that you are better than 'amateurs' all around the world, but still not in the same league as the professionals?

The portuguese football team that lost to Iraq, is that?

LHC posted on Aug 23 2004 at 11:08 AM said:
mattmagoo posted on Aug 23 2004 at 10:36 AM said:

The boxing makes me think 'why bother'? If the object isnt to find out which country has the best boxer, then what exactly is it? Who can cope best with a pile of silly regulations aimed at 'evening the playing field'? If you win, what exactly have you proved - that you are better than 'amateurs' all around the world, but still not in the same league as the professionals?

The portuguese football team that lost to Iraq, is that?
It's to find the best amateur boxer, you want to get rid of all amateur competitions? Then we wouldn't have any pros.

The Portuguese team were crap, it's great for Iraq though. They were getting beaten for losing not too long ago and now they're in the Olympic semis!

kidrdbz posted on Aug 21 2004 at 02:30 PM said:
Whatever's on cartoonnetwork.(I love cartoons :D )
I love cartoons too, shame we don't have Cartoonnetwork here. Sssh..

But well, im watching a movie from TV, called: Crimson Tide

thebluenewt posted on Aug 23 2004 at 03:53 PM said:
It's to find the best amateur boxer, you want to get rid of all amateur competitions? Then we wouldn't have any pros.

The Portuguese team were crap, it's great for Iraq though. They were getting beaten for losing not too long ago and now they're in the Olympic semis!
No, of course I don't want to get rid of amateur competition. I don't want it on my TV though. I was questioning whether the competition shows anything, and I think my question still applies. It shows how you can beat some, but still aren't in the same league as the pros.

LHC posted on Aug 23 2004 at 10:30 PM said:
thebluenewt posted on Aug 23 2004 at 03:53 PM said:

No, of course I don't want to get rid of amateur competition. I don't want it on my TV though. I was questioning whether the competition shows anything, and I think my question still applies. It shows how you can beat some, but still aren't in the same league as the pros.
Well, it's not like boxing is on that much.

Memnoch posted on Aug 24 2004 at 02:56 PM said:
I'm currently collecting the Star Trek The Next Generation magazine which comes with a DVD every month. At the end of it I'll have every episode and all the movies. :)

Ridicule now. :p
surely it'd be cheaper to just buy a box set instead of paying like £5 per magazine for about 100 magazines

Back