Custom Desktop Resolution

bismuthdrummer

I did a bunch of searches, checked the Wiki, and tried modifying xorg.conf myself, to no avail. Lots of talk about wanting higher resolution, but I would like to run a desktop resolution lower than 800x480 (specifically, 720x480).

Any way this can be done on a stock image?

Respectfully, it's a yes or no question. The reason is immaterial. For academic curiosity's sake.

A screen is not a computer monitor, it lacks the logic to stretch the input.

In other words you wont get a picture from that unless you want to display black bars on the screen.

Actually omapfb can do stretching/scaling, but I guess he wants to have the 40px black bars, because stretching 720 to 800 would introduce annoying blur.

No idea how to do it though -- most likely notaz will know.

This might help. Don't know if this can be used with X... but I can't even get it working with my project :(

Out of interest, why 720x480 specifically?  It seems like an odd aspect ratio to be attempting as it doesn't match any traditional screen geometry that I'm familiar with. 

-Neelix

720 is the maximum width achievable by TV-Out. It's not the aspect ratio I'm attempting so much as simply limiting the width. But the concept extends to height as well; if I have to run 720x400 or somesuch that is fine.

I do want to force a true resolution (as opposed to scaling), so if the answer is no or would take a major hack I completely understand. Thanks for the input so far.

Dr. Notaz, you have have a call on line 3, Dr. Notaz line 3.

Actually omapfb can do stretching/scaling, but I guess he wants to have the 40px black bars, because stretching 720 to 800 would introduce annoying blur.

No idea how to do it though -- most likely notaz will know.
Not really on topic, but I think live info would fit in that bar.

Without checking on my Pandora, I assume it defines its X resolution in /etc/xorg.conf.  Have you looked in there to see what sort of controls it offers?  There's a lot on the internet about that.

Without checking on my Pandora, I assume it defines its X resolution in /etc/xorg.conf.  Have you looked in there to see what sort of controls it offers?  There's a lot on the internet about that.
I played with this a little bit, but it almost seems that X ignores modes set in the xorg.conf. I know resolution in these embedded devices are often defined in the boot arguments, without my pandora I can't really confirm that is how it's done though.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the BeagleBoard RevC3 ist the Resolution defined in the Boot.scr.

Raik gave me a Boot.scr for 800x600 Resolution.

We can run the Pandora Zaxxon on Beagleboard but no Sound and no PND Support for now.

Omap3530.

I tried to change the Resolution on the Pandora but it always ended with a black Screen and a Full Reflash with the right MLO and Bootfiles.

As always, you're the best notaz!

Will give this a shot. Thank you.

EDIT: And it work as hoped (image top-left-justified, black space on the right and bottom given a smaller x and y). Makes the TV-out much crisper and easier to adjust for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back