D-pad No Good.

The screw in joystick doesn't work...well it works for a few hours, then *SNAP!*

I had two gravis pads that tried to do that, and they both lasted less than two hours.

Now if both parts are metal it might do it. The gravis design was a metal base and plastic joystick.

I've always been a fan of the rounded d-pad style so I'm glad to hear we'll be getting something like that. Genesis pad worked well, and I always thought the original MS Sidewinder gamepad was excellent (used it for a lot of emulation over the years, until it finally wore out). In fact, these days it's really hard for any other pads to compete. I had a Saitek pad with a good circular dpad, the only problem is that it broke off. Twice. Then I moved to an "Airflo" that had a terrible dpad. Finally I got a Logitech pad with a good circular dpad, although it moves around a little (and has a center click strangely enough). But it still feels like the old designs really got it right then something went wrong, so I hope we get something along those lines (but as durable as possible please).

Unfortunately MiloDC is clearly a fringe fanatic about this... saying that the GP2X stick must be better than NES? Maybe it's just because console games were designed for these dpads and the emulated games ran on a GP2X weren't designed for the stick, but there's a reason GPH changed things. The whole view is totally biased towards a certain kind of control style and that's it :/

After reading this entire thread, I've noticed one thing everyone seems to have missed.
If the Pandora is supposed to EMULATE a system, itsn't it just common sense to use a similar control input.
NES, SNES, GB, GBA, EVEN N64 all had the nintendo + pad. In addition to many others.
Whether or not another input method is easier, prettyer, more responsive, or (currently) trendier, is no basis to put it on an emulation system (which is what i would use a pandora for), ESPECIALLY when it has analog sticks for anything more non ()1|)3 5CH00L!.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if I can finagle my sega master system controllers to work with pandora (little obscure side note, master system controllers will plug right in and work on an atari 2600).

King_Qonmp said:
After reading this entire thread, I've noticed one thing everyone seems to have missed.
If the Pandora is supposed to EMULATE a system, itsn't it just common sense to use a similar control input.
NES, SNES, GB, GBA, EVEN N64 all had the nintendo + pad. In addition to many others.
Whether or not another input method is easier, prettyer, more responsive, or (currently) trendier, is no basis to put it on an emulation system (which is what i would use a pandora for), ESPECIALLY when it has analog sticks for anything more non ()1|)3 5CH00L!.
Actually this point has been brought up several times :eek:

I wonder if I can finagle my sega master system controllers to work with pandora (little obscure side note, master system controllers will plug right in and work on an atari 2600).

A lot of old controllers with that plug type were interchangeable, it was pretty great. I've played Sonic games with a Coleco Gemini (Atari 2600 clone) controller. Good thing you only needed one button for those games.

Forgive me for my potential ignorance but you see alot of the snes and nes usb adapters for pc, could these possibly work for pandora? couple that with a tv out and you have a good thing going

Exophase said:
I've always been a fan of the rounded d-pad style so I'm glad to hear we'll be getting something like that. Genesis pad worked well, and I always thought the original MS Sidewinder gamepad was excellent (used it for a lot of emulation over the years, until it finally wore out). In fact, these days it's really hard for any other pads to compete. I had a Saitek pad with a good circular dpad, the only problem is that it broke off. Twice. Then I moved to an "Airflo" that had a terrible dpad. Finally I got a Logitech pad with a good circular dpad, although it moves around a little (and has a center click strangely enough). But it still feels like the old designs really got it right then something went wrong, so I hope we get something along those lines (but as durable as possible please).
To expand on this: I think 3D games and analog control are to blame for most new controllers having crappy D-Pads. Most new videogames have you using the D-pad to do nothing more than change weapons or control more trivial aspects of the game. There's little motive to make a good D-Pad for a modern game controller, as it's not a really selling point anymore.

That said, I have the utmost faith that those behind Pandora will pick out a high-quality D-Pad since it's so important to a handheld made with retro games in mind. :)

King_Qonmp said:
Well, your last sentence is the most important -- the Pandora will emulate many more systems that used different interfaces, as well as almost-certainly hundreds of new/ported homebrew games. You can't really make a choice based solely on a (possibly minority, overall) subset of what it will be used for.

Not that I don't agree with you on the +-pad, it's my favorite too.

MWeston said:
The "new" renders are still the old dpad. I asked ED months ago if he would modify the dpad to be more rounded and closer to the final idea we had in mind, but I guess he never found the time to do it.
Oh, I have the time - I was just waiting for some more details (measurements, etc.) all the time ;)

Last edited:
Holokauston said:
I vote for mind control of the Pandora, that would show that it's really much more ahead then the others :)
That could loose quite a few potential customers, As a majority would not be able to use the system. :lol:

Ahem. :rolleyes:

</Gets coat/>

Trooper

Holokauston said:
I vote for mind control of the Pandora, that would show that it's really much more ahead then the others :)
Ooh good idea. That'd shut up all the slidy keyboard people too. AND give us room for a second screen where the controls are. ;)

Gruso said:
trooper said:
That could loose quite a few potential customers, As a majority would not be able to use the system. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgzz63Aw9Q :D

Bah you can't take that clip out of context ;P
You have to see Roy say it's voice activated ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlRrakjsUvo...feature=related

My only concern with the rounded d-pad configuration, is I hope there's enough resistance when pressing on the diagonals. I've played on too many 3rd party controllers with circular d-pads, where they probably thought the same thing about making it easier to press on the diagonals... Then, when I put in a side-scroller, for instance, it becomes a real chore to not end up ducking every few seconds because I keep hitting the diagonal unintentionally.

So if this is your design choice, I hope there is a bit extra resistance between the four directions, and the four diagonals,

Gilrad said:
My only concern with the rounded d-pad configuration, is I hope there's enough resistance when pressing on the diagonals. I've played on too many 3rd party controllers with circular d-pads, where they probably thought the same thing about making it easier to press on the diagonals... Then, when I put in a side-scroller, for instance, it becomes a real chore to not end up ducking every few seconds because I keep hitting the diagonal unintentionally.

So if this is your design choice, I hope there is a bit extra resistance between the four directions, and the four diagonals,
I second this concern.

I have had the same exact experience with way too many PC controllers, particularly as they wear down over time. They become useless after a while, and with Pandora we can't just go out and a buy a new dpad for $20-30 if it wears out.

Back