Dangers Associated With Overlclocking?

admmelonhead

Still Fresh
So the caanoo's overclockable to 800 mhz. I've heard that by overclocking it, the battery drains faster. But can overclocking it for too long cause damage of some sort?

adm.melonhead said:
So the caanoo's overclockable to 800 mhz. I've heard that by overclocking it, the battery drains faster. But can overclocking it for too long cause damage of some sort?

When this question comes up the usual response is that ARM architecture chips crash rather than take damage like an x86 chip might. I've never heard any anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

edit: By the way, my Caanoo only seems to be stable up to 750mhz.

Last edited by a moderator:
crashing or damage the facts remains that lifespan of the internal electrical components will decrease. all depends on the quality of the electrical components though and you probably won't use your caanoo / whatever console by the time this happens.

My only point is that you probably shouldn't worry about "frying" your Caanoo in one or a few ill-advised overclocks.

By the way: I assume you got the 800mhz figure from ThinkGeek. Notice that they also claim the Caanoo has an OLED screen. Take it with a grain of salt.

SML said:
By the way: I assume you got the 800mhz figure from ThinkGeek. Notice that they also claim the Caanoo has an OLED screen. Take it with a grain of salt.
Mine runs at 800mhz with no issues no oled though ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gotten my Caanoo up to 810 before (I think). I think it just depends on what you're doing - overclocking a simpler game might be easier on the CPU than overclocking a complex game, which might make it crash.

After experimenting (just got my Caanoo Monday and haven't had a chance to really play it until today) I can confirm that the stability can vary between applications and games. The 750 mhz I quoted was running Raiden in Mame. I can get 780 in pocketsnes (running Super Castlevania IV).

Back