GP32 Dark Forces on GP32?

Jamie

Still Fresh
Hey folks,

I'm currently caning Doom on the GP32, courtesy of the excellent emulator from Craig. With Heretic on the way, I just wondered whether it'd be possible to port Dark Forces over to the GP32? I love this Star Wars game - on a handheld it could be fantastic...

Jamie

I wonder if the tie fighter / rouge leader / x-wing game of the same era is doable?

hmmm ;)

I have the original X-Wing collectors cd, and Tie fighter. With the amount of buttons used on the keyboard to rotate weapons, power up sheilds, command your wing fighters, targeting system, and engines, i doubt very much that a 4 button system is going to be able to do all this. Granted it would be really cool, but I don't see having all the features of the original to be ported over to the gp32 intact. You can't Shift+t to target, you can't shift+h to send your fighters home, you can't f9 to raise or lower weapons, you can't x to adjust your xwing to simultaneous fire or single fire, you can't s to lower shields to front or back, and thats just a tip of the iceberg of button commands needed for this game to be great.

extremegamer posted on Sep 8 2003 at 04:27 PM said:
I have the original X-Wing collectors cd, and Tie fighter. With the amount of buttons used on the keyboard to rotate weapons, power up sheilds, command your wing fighters, targeting system, and engines, i doubt very much that a 4 button system is going to be able to do all this. Granted it would be really cool, but I don't see having all the features of the original to be ported over to the gp32 intact. You can't Shift+t to target, you can't shift+h to send your fighters home, you can't f9 to raise or lower weapons, you can't x to adjust your xwing to simultaneous fire or single fire, you can't s to lower shields to front or back, and thats just a tip of the iceberg of button commands needed for this game to be great.
You could have a virtual keyboard alot like Frodo, and then just map the most important functions to the buttons.

Last edited by a moderator:
But mapping the buttons will only go so far. What if you need to do multiple commands at once? It's not a simple matter of just pushing buttons anymore, you'll have to do 1 or 2 commands and then pause the game and remap the controls, then do the other commands, then pause and revert back to the standard controls. I doubt many people would be willing to do this.

I think I remember hearing that Dark Forces used the Duke3D engine.. Probably wrong as usual ;)

http://icculus.org/BUILD/ has some links on the games that where built on of all things kens labarith(where the source is available) and had descriptions about the various programs that use it its a good informative read. It is the engine that duke3d is built, on the same site has duke3d running on linux, although I couldn't get it to compile. Its a good site to see premium ports in general. btw kens labarinth sucks so bad, so so bad more than sopwith bah

It doesnt use build, it's built on top of a proprietry engine, thus:

nosource.gif

Back