DC power jack resoldering question

Somewhere over the rainbow til terminal velocity k
I have a first batch(as per the label) Pandora. The DC jack came loose at one of the connection points, making charging the device quite difficult to do(obviously).

So, I redid the solder on the connection. A couple of month later, same point came loose again. So, I've resoldered it.

Now for the point: What's the best way, for this device, to reinforce the jack to keep it from coming loose?

I'm thinking hot glue but I don't really see any good way to brace it. Am I over thinking on that?

Thoughts & suggestions needed.

On the safe side, i'd say get a new connector, get stronger quality solder (maybe with some silver, i'm not sure) remove all the solder on the board and go for it again.

You should also PM MWeston for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
remove all the solder on the board

As in 'remove the solder which is no longer holding the connector on'.

Removing all the solder on the PCB will certainly ruin your pandora :mellow:

Removing all of the solder will ruin the pandora?! Why did no one warn me of such things in my electronics class?! WHY?!

Ah, but seriously, the best quality solder I can get around here is what I've got. I have 3 different solder thickness to work with. My weakpoint with this is actually the cheap solder iron(cost less than the solder). I have an electronics degree so I do have sense enough to clear away old solder.

I have added some solder to the opposite side connector so that might strengthen it. I have a trip I'm going on around the 27th. I really wanna get this resolved properly before then. I don't really have much money to use to fix this because of the trip & being unemployed.

If you think it's the best way to go, I'll message the MWeston on this.

So, I read somewhere that I could charge it via the USB input that one would use to access the SD cards via a PC, but that doesn't seem to work. I tried with my PCs & nothing. I tried hooking it up to a 5V 1A USB wall plug & all that happened was it turned on & the battery life drained away at about the normal rate. So, yeah, I definitely need a new DC jack as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, you may try to boot the 2.6 kernel (not 1GHz OP), low power with the switch and charge through mini USB.

I would but I'm unemployed at the moment and I've only got enough in savings to last me a few months.

EDIT: So, if anyone could just tell me what type of input jack I need to buy to replace the old one so I can do that, that would be awesome.

I would recomend contacting ED for a real fix. He may be able to help you, not sure. If that isn't the case and money is tight you could possibly use a PSP power connector and solder the wires onto the board. The PSP chargers work for the Pandora so I don't see why you couldn't rig something up with PSP jack. It may not be ideal but it could get you by for a few months.

Not saying it will definitely work... It's just an idea. Plus they're cheap, found one for $4 with shipping on ebay. It may be worth a shot. Although I don't know if you would be able to solder wires to the pads and have enough room for the jack, probably have to modify the case to get it to work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PSP-1001-Power-Connector-Board-/170926118702?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cbfd972e.

All in all it may be more trouble than it's worth, really recommend talking to ED and seeing if maybe he can sell you a replacement connector

Meanwhile, you may try to boot the 2.6 kernel (not 1GHz OP), low power with the switch and charge through mini USB.
I definitely want to try this. How do I do that?

I would but I'm unemployed at the moment and I've only got enough in savings to last me a few months.

EDIT: So, if anyone could just tell me what type of input jack I need to buy to replace the old one so I can do that, that would be awesome.

I would recomend contacting ED for a real fix. He may be able to help you, not sure. If that isn't the case and money is tight you could possibly use a PSP power connector and solder the wires onto the board. The PSP chargers work for the Pandora so I don't see why you couldn't rig something up with PSP jack. It may not be ideal but it could get you by for a few months.

Not saying it will definitely work... It's just an idea. Plus they're cheap, found one for $4 with shipping on ebay. It may be worth a shot. Although I don't know if you would be able to solder wires to the pads and have enough room for the jack, probably have to modify the case to get it to work. http://www.ebay.com/...=item27cbfd972e.

All in all it may be more trouble than it's worth, really recommend talking to ED and seeing if maybe he can sell you a replacement connector
I didn't know those had the same input jack size. Thanks for the info. If I could get the power input specs for the 4 connection points on the board(ie, which points get the positive & which the negative & what not), that could work. I might even could halfway decently secure it within the unit(god knows I was able to get the regular one to secure to the case just fine *le sigh*). But I would need that board information before considering such an undertaking.

Okay, I booted up in 2.6. Then, I plugged the USB in. The red charge light came on briefly during bootup & then cut off. My power percentage was 91% on bootup and dropped to 90% a bit later. Clearly, no charging happened there. Then it occurred to me you might have meant to flick the power button to suspend the device. So, I did that & the red charge light briefly came on then cut out. I tried again & nothing happened. So, I guess that was just some strange fluke.

It's down to 88% now so I'm cutting it off & awaiting further advice. I just don't understand it. The device *can* be charged with the that mini-USB input jack thing, right? I hope I didn't imagine that somewhere. I'd rather not go insane until a few months from now.

Yes, units charge with mini usb.

Where do you plug the other end of this mini-to-big usb cable ?

2A is recommended for the AC charger.

I don't know for the mini-usb, but should be 500mA (the usb standard output current).

As you tried multiple solutions, i wonder if isn't there a shortcut somewhere...

Back