DeadBeef

TylerAW

Is this the only music player that supports playing of music from Game Roms? I seriously I have never seen this feature ever and I'm not even half way through the video! I mean if any music player should be the default one on Pandora shouldn't it be this one?!

OH Never-mind other players can do this too heh. BTW what is the default player for the Pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
i seem to notice that there is no default for the pandora

To clarify: It's not playing the game roms themselves, but clever people have ripped the music tracks out of games and saved them as separate files. For example game boy music will have a .GBM extension and Genesis music will have a .GYM extension. I can't just feed it sonic.bin and play the music straight from the rom dump.

There is no default music player on the Pandora because there's an issue of licensing the codecs. You as a user have to install the codecs yourself, without codecs you would only be able to play a handful of the opensource codecs and that's it. Besides, more than just about any other piece of software in existence music players seem to be driven by individual taste.

Deadbeef does look great. I will be checking that out for sure.

Yep. It looks very much in the spirit of foobar2000 for windows. I've been looking for a very foobar2000like mp3 player for Linux.

^ Deadbeef is great. I'd never heard of it until it was ported to the Pandora, and I find that it works very, very well indeed.

Yep. It looks very much in the spirit of foobar2000 for windows. I've been looking for a very foobar2000like mp3 player for Linux.
Me too, it's one of the few windows programs I really miss on Linux. Yes, I know it runs in wine, but I don't want to run wine just to play some music.

So far none of the Linux audio players come even close. A while ago I was looking for a player which supports the ORIGALBUM tag (TOAL). One of the few I could find was Quod Libet, which isn't all that great either.

@TylerAW - Google is your bestest buddy. I don't think you'll have any problems locating big collections of chiptunes.

@TylerAW - Google is your bestest buddy. I don't think you'll have any problems locating big collections of chiptunes.
I know hell they probably have all of them at Underground Gamer but still I thought it would be nice if these players could play files directly from a ROM file.

Deadbeef looks great, I usually use Rythmbox but I'm not sure it will play the game soundtracks. So are these soundtracks just midi files or something?

EDIT: I guess they are because every file is about the same size, and holy crap am I lovin' it! I found FF6 in a few seconds and wow does it bring back memories.

Deadbeef looks great, I usually use Rythmbox but I'm not sure it will play the game soundtracks. So are these soundtracks just midi files or something?

EDIT: I guess they are because every file is about the same size, and holy crap am I lovin' it! I found FF6 in a few seconds and wow does it bring back memories.
SNES SPC files are raw memory dumps of the snes sounds chip when a game sends sound info to it. Most PC SNES emulators have a dumping option.

MegaDrive GYM files are a logged sound format and is the sound info dumped over time from a megadrive emulator.

NES NSF are NES ROM files edited so that the only play music.

GB/GBC GBS files are rom files edited down until only the sound plays

PSF, USF, GSF etc are all the ROM edited down until it only plays the music.

MOD is kind of a midi/wav hybrid, it has instructions on how to play the music like midi, but it also includes its own samples(normally wav) to make the notes and effects.

So there you go a very quick rundown of emulated music formats.

EDIT: forgot to say... the SPC format has a constant filesize and can loop indefinitely, the GYM format depends how much of the song was dumped, the xSF formats depend on how well it was ripped from the rom (can loop indefinitely), and mod files are generally quite small too, depending on the size of the samples included.

SNES SPC files are raw memory dumps of the snes sounds chip when a game sends sound info to it. Most PC SNES emulators have a dumping option.

MegaDrive GYM files are a logged sound format and is the sound info dumped over time from a megadrive emulator.

NES NSF are NES ROM files edited so that the only play music.

GB/GBC GBS files are rom files edited down until only the sound plays

PSF, USF, GSF etc are all the ROM edited down until it only plays the music.

MOD is kind of a midi/wav hybrid, it has instructions on how to play the music like midi, but it also includes its own samples(normally wav) to make the notes and effects.

So there you go a very quick rundown of emulated music formats.

EDIT: forgot to say... the SPC format has a constant filesize and can loop indefinitely, the GYM format depends how much of the song was dumped, the xSF formats depend on how well it was ripped from the rom (can loop indefinitely), and mod files are generally quite small too, depending on the size of the samples included.
Thank you that was very helpful. :)

Back