music player boot option

Teajunky

Still Fresh
Is it possible to have a very system un-intensive program that the pandora can just boot directly too? This would make the pandora a very good MP3 and other audio file player, because it would have a long battery life. If you could get the shoulder buttons to act as a skip to next song and a pause/play button, this would make the perfect dedicated music player replacement, IMHO. Turn on and boot to the music player, and you listening to music much faster then opening a music playing program though a non dedicated boot option. I'm not a programer, so I can't make this happen just wanted to know what other people think.

I believe i could be making this up but there has been speculation of improving low-power mode and adding the functionality of still playing music in it. I think that would be sweet and maybe more practical.

Pandora's boot loader can boot from SD, so you can pretty easily run different OSes or special bootable programs this way. Problem is, a music player needs a decent amount of support than an OS usually provides, or at the very least SD card drivers, audio drivers, input drivers, and filesystem read support. You'd probably want some level of display capability too.

Best bet right now is a heavily trimmed down Linux kernel + root FS that runs an audio program that uses fbdev straight.

Back