[dealbreaker] Payback Vs Gta:vcs (psp Vs Gp2x)

vapourstreak

Still Fresh
Website
www.facebook.com
hi I'm new :)

I'm trying to decide between a psp slim felicia blue or white GP2X-F200. I love GTA so I'm wondering if I should get the psp for vcs or gp2x for payback.

What other things should I consider before buying?

Thanks,
Vapour

You can't compare "Vice City Stories" with "Payback": it's like comparing a PC with a Spectrum, or MGS with the original Metal Gear.

icurafu said:
I don't think you should be getting a GP2X if your number one priority is commercial games.
Or case colours for that matter... 'felicia blue'... :lol:

You should consider the GP2X's audience, and then the PSP's. Unless you're interested in the PSP for its homebrew potential, be warned that the GP2X caters to a whole different market, bar the two handhelds' media playback capabilities.

Payback is a great GTA style game, but you should think of it as an enhanced GTA 1, great on its own but different in many respects to the newer games in the GTA franchise.

Last edited by a moderator:
vapourstreak said:
lol okay. is it possible for the gp2x to emulate ds since the psp can (sort of ) and the gp2x is mroe powerful?
and do you like the psp mint green or felicia blue colour better?
Say what? :blink:
No ds emulation, sorry.
mmmmmm ....... mint green......

Seriously, it doesn't sound like the GP2x is for you at all. Buy a PSP.

vapourstreak said:
lol okay. is it possible for the gp2x to emulate ds since the psp can (sort of ) and the gp2x is more powerful?

I did figure it out, anyway.
but.... say what :blink:

They're apples and oranges, really. GTA:VCS is not necessarily "better" (it does have better graphics, though) than Payback, they are different games with different missions, storyline, and gameplay. The PSP isn't "better" than the GP2X, the GP2X isn't "better" than the PSP, they're just different.

The PSP has (somewhat arguably) better hardware all around, and a whole lot more commercial games (as in the kind you buy). The GP2X has a lot of (free and cheap) homebrew games, and on the whole it costs less to have an enjoyable experience with GP2X in my opinion. Both have good emulators (if you're into that sort of thing, it means simulating other game consoles so you can play their games), however in my opinion the GP2X emulators are more polished. As I said, the PSP is more powerful, so if you want to emulate the Playstation you should go with the PSP. The GP2X is not a "plug and play" system. Most software is pretty easy to install (but none of it is idiot proof), for more advanced stuff you have to tinker a bit. Both are good with music and videos.

To put it as simply as I can, if you're interested in wacky user-created games and reliving memories of retrogames, then the GP2X is for you. If you're interested in fancy graphics above all else and 99% idiot proof operation, then by all means go for the PSP. Don't expect either to emulate the DS, PS2, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Windows, etc, etc, because they can't really.

vapourstreak said:
lol okay. is it possible for the gp2x to emulate ds since the psp can (sort of ) and the gp2x is mroe powerful?

Don't know where you got the idea that PSP could emulate DS. There's that DeSmuME port, but it plays at maybe 1/20th realtime speed on average. A port like this for GP2X would be in the same ballpark for speed. GP2X isn't more powerful than PSP, it's less powerful.

vapourstreak said:
really? isnt 240 x2 480? the psp can go up to 333mhz cnat it? im a real noob at this...
It doesn't work that way.

Yes the GP2X has 2 cores that can go to 240 MHz but there are limitations to them. You can't just double the speed and call it 480 MHz. To make a long story short the way they both need the same memory causes the second core to only be useful for simple things.

The PSP has A 333 MHz CPU but also has some other graphics chips that are fast, and acess to memory is faster etc. PSP is more powerful hardware. Trust Exophase 100% on this, he has done extensive low level coding on both.

I have both and like the GP2X for emulation for other reasons, but for someone like you the PSP seems to fit you much better.

Back