Default Game Boy Button Mappings For Pandora? [Poll]

What would be the preferred Default setup for the buttons?

• Game Boy B,A,Select,Start -> Pandora A,Y, Select,Start

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Game Boy B,A,Select,Start -> Pandora A,B Select,Start

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Game Boy B,A,Select,Start -> Pandora A,X, Select,Start

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Game Boy B,A,Select,Start -> Pandora X,B, Select,Start

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Other (Please post suggestions)

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

dgame

Hello,

I am about to post another Beta of GnGB a Game Boy / Game Boy Color Emulator.

It will be in the Beta testing section once I get some feedback.

This version uses the PickleLauncher and Notaz's Improved SDL.

The default resolution can now be set in PickleLauncher, so no more prompts to choose it every time you run a ROM.

Resolution can also be set on a per game basis.

Notaz's Improved SDL has sharpened the screen scaling and eliminated the screen tearing.

One of the complaints I got is about how I set it up is the controls.

The way I play is Pandora A,Y,X,B -> Game Boy B,A,Select,Start

This is because I like to have the start button within reach for games like Pokemon and Punch-Out.

However, it is easy to press all four together and accidentally reset the game.

The controls can be changed in the configuration file.

I guess the obvious thing would be to map the Game Boy Select and Start buttons to the Pandora Select and Start buttons.

But what about the B and A buttons?

What would be the preferred Default setup for the buttons?

Game Boy B,A,Select,Start -> Pandora A,Y, Select,Start

Game Boy B,A,Select,Start -> Pandora A,B,Select,Start

Game Boy B,A,Select,Start -> Pandora A,X, Select,Start

Game Boy B,A,Select,Start -> Pandora X,B, Select,Start

EDIT: The Pandora's Buttons are arranged like this:

Code:
  Y

A   B

X

Thanks!!!

Right on!! I just went through Donkey Kong (94) for old Game Boy I always felt i was kind of getting to close to the pause and select buttons right underneath the jump and run. I would welcome anything really that gets the start and select out of the four button pad.

Looking forward to the update!! Thx for the hard work!

the A X configuration has always been one that baffled me. it has always felt totally counter-intuitive especially since the gameboy itself (along with the nes and other 2 button consoles) has been more like X B or A Y

i always find myself floundering on some emulators, especially ones with some where the A B is on the A X but then some crazy turbo version is on the B Y. i just end up smashing at buttons and frustrated. the buttons should be laid out as close as possible to the original console.

the reason i would chose B X is to minimise the risk of hitting the B and the X in the A Y configuration

A-X for me, simply because its easier to push/hold these two together at once then B-X or even worse, A-Y, for games like mario bros, where youre constantly holding one button to run, and using other one to jump

...whereas I find it much more ergonomic to use X+B. Using SMB as the example, holding X to dash and rolling my thumb onto B for jump is the only way I can play.

Trying to use A+X in this fashion places other buttons in the firing line of my somewhat large thumbs.

Different strokes etc :) As long as there are mapping options we're all good.

I absolutely ABHOR the defaults in the current version. It's just so... unnatural. I understand A->B and B->X, but A->Y and B->A...?

I wouldn't care if it was A/B set to B/X and Start/Select set to Y/A. That way, you at least don't have to reach your thumb over the X/B buttons for the normal game controls....

I actually prefer A/B mapped to X/A myself (this applies to the NES as well). It feels more natural to me. But I can completely understand preferring a mapping to B/X, since that's how the DS maps it for GBA games. And then of course there's things like Gruso's big thumbs. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
X, B, Select, start sounds good to me. I like that they are at the end or should I say on the outside so the player won't be accidentally pressing the other buttons while playing.

I voted X,B as it is closest to the original experience. As others have said, make it mappable and all is well.

My choice: GameBoy B,A,Select,Start -> Pandora A,X,B,Y

Reasoning for GameBoy B,A: Having the main GB action buttons B, A in the thumb up/down axis.

Reasoning for GameBoy Select,Start: Having them close to the others to quickly pause, and in some games with complex control the Select key should be quickly accessible too. The start (Y) on top so that I need an intentional movement there, to not "hit it to easily".

And offtopic: GnGB is my favorite GameBoy emulator on the Pandora. Could you please make it available on the more popular http://repo.openpandora.org Thanks!

Why do I prefer your emulator:

+ Starts at the directory tree where you left it. (Next release will have even PickleLauncher)

~ Asks you at each rom start in which mode to display. (full, stretched, etc) (Will be remembered better in next release)

+ Different color sets available via hotkeys

+ Save/reload states per game and with screenshot (+ Even works if ROM parent dir was renamed!)

- Strange default game controls. But can be changed via config file. (And this survey may improve it)

Okay, I'll be the tie-breaker here and go with Game Boy B,A,Select,Start -> Pandora A,X, Select,Start

I tried it and it seems comfortable enough.

The default controls are set in the config files so you have to edit a file to change them.

It won't ask you to choose which display mode any more.

I will include documentation explaining how to do this.

@gruso, yes I need graphics as I am using PickeLauncher in text-only mode right now.

Post a skin and I can include it. It needs to include an "Edit Item" graphic as I use this to set the resolution.

Posting new version shortly . . .

EDIT: Posted here: http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/5668-gngb-a-game-boy-and-color-game-boy-emulator-for-testing/

I tried a lot of these configurations and went with the DS style, which puts Game Boy B,A,Select,Start -> Pandora X,B, Select,Start

I let friends test the GnGB emulator without any explanation and the DS style was assumed.

However, the Pandora's Select and start are away from the other game buttons.

So, I added the option for a second set of Select and Start Buttons: Game Boy B,A,Select,Start -> Pandora X,B, Select/A,Start/Y

This is configurable albeit through editing a configuration file, and I will include thorough instructions on how to do so.

Back