Defective Sd Slot...

Man, I'm really hoping I don't just get another one that's going to have the same problem...

When you get it, you may need to stick a knife or something down the slot and flatten any errant pins a little more so they don't catch on the SD card and get bent like before. Unless it's already pre-bent. That would suck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I disappear for a few days and we finally have a solution. :) Thanks for all your posts guys, but, being a chickensh!t with 2 left thumbs, I'll send the unit back.

some great helpful posts though, I'm really impressed, I thought I was shouting into the wind for a while there.

Wow, I disappear for a few days and we finally have a solution. :) Thanks for all your posts guys, but, being a chickensh!t with 2 left thumbs, I'll send the unit back.

some great helpful posts though, I'm really impressed, I thought I was shouting into the wind for a while there.

Ditto. :p

I wonder if anyone around here is a member of the GP2X wiki - it would be useful to get this issue included under their "dud SD card" section, as well as a few others. I know, it's a wiki, I can edit it myself, but I'm not that confident with wikis - I would almost certainly screw something up... :p

I wonder if anyone around here is a member of the GP2X wiki - it would be useful to get this issue included under their "dud SD card" section, as well as a few others. I know, it's a wiki, I can edit it myself, but I'm not that confident with wikis - I would almost certainly screw something up... :p

I've done this, just added a brief footnote on the SD Compatibility pages linking to the relevant threads here.

Christ, the exact same thing has happened to me - but I bought mine back in August...

I am fearful of sending it in though, as my GP2X is capable of OCing to 275mhz. Would gp2x.co.uk send me an equivalent unit?

Christ, the exact same thing has happened to me - but I bought mine back in August...

I am fearful of sending it in though, as my GP2X is capable of OCing to 275mhz. Would gp2x.co.uk send me an equivalent unit?

So you've been running using only NAND for this long? Blimey!

Just purchased one from playasia - SD problem.

Doesn't boot most the time. It is stuck on the green screen. Sometimes when I play with the SD (holding it) it works. But then there is no push ejection - the SD must be manually removed.

Looks like some serious hardware problem.

Send it back for a replacement. I hope this bad batch of SD slots will be a thing of the past soon...

Exact same thing happened to me here. I don't think I'm going to try fixing it as the SD slot is covered in metal and getting to the pins would require screwing with it. I'm really disappointed, especially since it was working long enough for me to try some stuff out first...

I would say so. Just make sure you double-check with them which unit you are sending. And if they send back a non-equivalent unit, give 'em hell. :p

GameGod said:
Hey guys,

I just got my GP2x for Christmas, and my SD slot is busted! The SD slot worked the first time I put an SD card in, but now something is messed up and it won't "lock" the SD card into place. (Everytime you insert the card, it just pops right back out like you were ejecting it...)

Any ideas? :(
I have the same problem, the only diference is that the SD card can't stay inside, the slot is allways ejecting it. Inside, there's a metal cover that I dont know how to remove...

bleonlf said:
GameGod said:
Hey guys,

I just got my GP2x for Christmas, and my SD slot is busted! The SD slot worked the first time I put an SD card in, but now something is messed up and it won't "lock" the SD card into place. (Everytime you insert the card, it just pops right back out like you were ejecting it...)

I have the same problem, the only diference is that the SD card can't stay inside, the slot is allways ejecting it. Inside, there's a metal cover that I dont know how to remove...

I'm assuming if you've noticed the SD card housing, you've already opened the thing up and voided your warranty?

piphil said:
bleonlf said:
GameGod said:
Hey guys,

I'm assuming if you've noticed the SD card housing, you've already opened the thing up and voided your warranty?

I called the store and I have only 3-month warranty...

There was a time when each GP2x was tested before shipping it to the customer, Craigix used to do this ages ago. As the build quality seems to have dropped recently, it would make sense for sellers to check each unit before sending it out; it saves hassle later.

In the UK, you know you can send your item back to the seller if the item is faulty and it the seller has to repay that postage cost, as well as their cost to send another one to you? Sale of Goods Act. Don't accept a repair, take a refund or replacement only.

Back