Descent 2 Port Wanted

fett42

There was a port for the GP2X of D2X which runs the game Descent 2. I think this would be an awesome game to have on the Wiz. I remember playing this game back when it came out and it was pretty fun.

Here is a link to the source code for the PC version of D2X: http://www.icculus.org/d2x/.

Here is the link to the GP2X version of D2X: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,20,1858

Descent 1 is also available on GP2X. It isn't quite as good as Descent 2, but here's a link to that anyway in case someone wants to do both. http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,20,1981

D1X Rebirth's source code is also available at the top site for the D2X source code.

Orion4874 said:
Yeah, I wonder why Descent was left out? Dingoo just got a port why not us? What the hell is going on here, LOL!!! PICKLE, WHERE YOU AT????

i spent some time trying to port them, but ran into issues and never finished. Maybe ill try again.

Last edited by a moderator:
torpor said:
Is it the GLES libraries issue, or something? I remember you making some progress on it!

Descent 1 wouldnt run, croaked with some odd error
Descent 2 would load but the screen was rotated when i hadnt done a thing with rotation.

There´s a port of Descent 1 for the wiz, released by Hopez today. More info in this link (spanish). It has some problems but is playable.

Hi, I've been talking with zico on the thread that pickle opened on dxx-rebirth forums, I've been focused on d1x version (it's the only one that I played when I was young).

Descent 2 is not my priority, I'll try to do a quick recompile from v0.51 version (that already has the gp2x controls scheme) and if it work I'll publish as is. Maybe we'll be lucky.

HopeZ said:
Hi, I've been talking with zico on the thread that pickle opened on dxx-rebirth forums, I've been focused on d1x version (it's the only one that I played when I was young).

Descent 2 is not my priority, I'll try to do a quick recompile from v0.51 version (that already has the gp2x controls scheme) and if it work I'll publish as is. Maybe we'll be lucky.

Hopez, im glad someone got it to work, I remember i had wierd issues at the time and finally gave up on it. Sorry i never replied I was never notified the thread was replied to and i never went back to check the thread.

Pickle said:
Hopez, im glad someone got it to work, I remember i had wierd issues at the time and finally gave up on it. Sorry i never replied I was never notified the thread was replied to and i never went back to check the thread.

Well I've done the port based on old v0.51 version, I've tried lastest v0.55 but also had problems... Anyway I think that d1x could work much better (I'm a very noob porter xD)

FYI I got descent2 "working":320x200, problems with sound, problems with button config and some other issues, anyway it works and is playable... If anyone is interested on it I could upload the sources and the compiled pre-alpha version.

By the moment I've no time/interest on this port but if someone wants could continue my 3 hours of "work" ;)

If the button mapping worked properly like Descent 1, then I'd love to play Descent 2 on the Wiz. In my opinion, Descent 2 is a superior game.

raindog said:
There´s a port of Descent 1 for the wiz, released by Hopez today. More info in this link (spanish). It has some problems but is playable.

Runs fine if you turn off the sound. With sound you get big framerate drops when there 2 or 3 enemies around you.

fettouhi said:
raindog said:

Runs fine if you turn off the sound. With sound you get big framerate drops when there 2 or 3 enemies around you.
For me the game works smooth with sound effects on, the issue it´s with the music. Disabling the music and overcloking around 800 the game must run well, even with many enemies on the screen.

Sorry for my english.

raindog said:
fettouhi said:
raindog said:

For me the game works smooth with sound effects on, the issue it´s with the music. Disabling the music and overcloking around 800 the game must run well, even with many enemies on the screen.

Sorry for my english.

How do you disable the music only because I can only seem to disable everything (music + sound effects).

I´m not sure but think that you must delete the timidity.cfg file in the game folder for disable only the music.

HopeZ said:
Pickle said:

Well I've done the port based on old v0.51 version, I've tried lastest v0.55 but also had problems... Anyway I think that d1x could work much better (I'm a very noob porter xD)

FYI I got descent2 "working":320x200, problems with sound, problems with button config and some other issues, anyway it works and is playable... If anyone is interested on it I could upload the sources and the compiled pre-alpha version.

By the moment I've no time/interest on this port but if someone wants could continue my 3 hours of "work" ;)

Hi HopeZ

Do you still have the code around .....?

Nozy

You should check at GP32 Spain. HopeZ is more active over there and I know he uploaded the source to his D1X port there as well. I got the D2X source from him but I didn't have much luck with it unfortunately, just don't have the know-how yet. I'm not sure if it's cool to hand out his code without his ok so I'd prefer it if you asked him directly. Send him a PM here and on the Spanish site, I sure he'll answer you.

Back