Descent 2 Interpreter V0.01 Released

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
paines released an very very early port of d2x-0.2.5 from www.icculus.org / dxx-rebirth.de.

d2x-gp2x.png

You need the original Descent 2 CD to play it.

Download: Descent 2 v0.01

YYEAAHH!! This week is definitely the most exciting week since... a long time ago :p coupled with the recent PSX4GP2X news last week!

Not sure.. have a look around it and see if the following are there:

You will need following files from the Descent 2 CD.

descent2.ham
descent2.hog
descent2.s11
descent2.s22
alien1.pig
alien2.pig
fire.pig
groupa.pig
ice.pig
water.pig

The files are contained in the DESCENT2.SOW ARJ archive file in the D2DATA directory.

I would say if you have the PSX version (and you can't find the files) there would be nothing wrong with getting them via other means...

Aninhumer posted on Oct 15 2006 at 05:25 PM said:
I would say if you have the PSX version (and you can't find the files) there would be nothing wrong with getting them via other means...

Nice :)

I had started Descent 1, and then D1X and other projects, but always got bogged down; it used to annoy me to no end that they used the same filenames in like 20 directories, so the Makefile was a huge mess :p I had updated the Pocket PC build a few times, but never got time to get the GP2X one going....

So many kudos on getting something together, and D2 no less :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not being difficult but... Why Descent 2 and not Descent 1? just curious, as descent 1 is older and perhaps easier (needs less cpu-power)

So how does this run? Is it smooth? does it have sound? Are the buttons good or configurable? Just want to know if it is worth digging up a D2 CD.

reiboul posted on Oct 15 2006 at 09:42 PM said:
I'm not being difficult but... Why Descent 2 and not Descent 1? just curious, as descent 1 is older and perhaps easier (needs less cpu-power)

It's really almost the same, and the linux port of D2 can run D1 datafiles too. I am just not sure if this GP2x port can do that too.

It runs abit choppy at this point, I would say just demonstrating that fact that the gp2x can and will handle descent 2. At this stage though I wouldn't consider playing it for more than 15mins.

Its definatley a heck of a lot faster than any psx games run on the psx emu

reiboul posted on Oct 15 2006 at 10:42 PM said:

maybe the coder enjoys descent 2 more than the origional...

Just got it running on my gp2x (got the original disc here) and it runs pretty good for a first version, with stutter-free sound effects but no midi music, obviously. The controls are slightly delayed, and the ingame movement stops every few seconds, making the otherwise fluent framerate unplayable. But, I yet have to try overclocking my '2X to 266, will let you know how it goes ...

.... this is the coolest thing to date the gp2x has seen, I've been hoping for this ever since I bought my '2X january this year!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

"SunSpire"

isnt this game abandonware or something (caue i know i have it on my mac)

either way AWSOME!! thanks paines

:eek:

Pisses pants, :huh: , And runs sreaming into a corner. :blink:

Too bad i only have Descent 3, And don`t own a GP2x anymore, Fucking builders. :angry:

Trooper

Back