Design The Nextgen

Instantjewmix

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I know that Gamepark is not a publicly owned company and they really don't have to listen to the consumers at all (up untill sales are compromised). I also know that this is still the child stage of the GP2X. Great things are to come for it. But what if we, the largest fan site for the GP2X and the GP32 were asked for some input on what to fix with old things, what to add for new things, and just general design and specs for the Next Generation device from GPH? I don't know if this already happens at all, but i think that with the collective input of 15000 people, GPH could turn out a pretty serious device that would sell in the Japanese market, the European market, and the money pig market (America). They could even one day be up ther with Nintendo and Sony for their portables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been there done that +1

Do you think maybe we don't want to be "up ther with Nintendo and Sony for their portables"? This was never meant to be competition in the commercial market with those others. Different audience completely.

But what if we, the largest fan site for the GP2X and the GP32 were asked for some input on what to fix with old things, what to add for new things, and just general design and specs for the Next Generation device from GPH?

A: Been there, done that²

how do you square Been there done that?

btdtwu2.jpg

* Rim-Shot *

Been there done that +1

Do you think maybe we don't want to be "up ther with Nintendo and Sony for their portables"? This was never meant to be competition in the commercial market with those others. Different audience completely.

I don't think that Gamepark Holdings would really complain if they got a couple more million dollars in sails from the nextgen console. I know that it isn't supposed to be on he same scale as the psp or the ds but only one out of a thousand people in america know what the hell I'm saying when i talk about my GP2X. The name could at least be out there. GPH could make a lot more money by creating a wider market in America. My only concern would be that Advertising isn't free. I don't have all the answers either. I was only reminiscing. Oh and btw, i meant practical upgrades, not puting the wii inside the GP3X or a kitchen sink. That bluetooth idea was good though.

The GP32 and the '2X are the Punk Rock of Hand-Helds ... we don't need or want mainstream attention. :)

i would say that the aim of these 2 threads are slightly different.

next gen = Playstation 2 to Playstation3
next mk = Playstation 1 to PsOne

both are valid questions though.

lol @ the guy in the other thread who ask for a "phone" in the next gen. brilliant.

You know what I want from the nextgen? Really? To force the price of the current GP2X to drop enough that I can buy another one. I'm happy as is. Unless nextgen can also mean "firmware that allows my USB connection to reliably write to my SD card"... then I'd vote for that.

pkostrze, have you tried using a different USB cable? There are lots of reports of people using cables that came with digital cameras, etc, with better results.

Back on topic... I think the best conduit for such suggestions from the 'fans' to GPH is Craigix, Evil Dragon and Fatih. I think GPH will listen to them as they have, by selling the product, made it a success.

But they are obviously unkeen to discuss (at least in public) too much on 'next gen' or even 'next Mk' as that comprimises sales of the current version.

Next mk needs a better controller. No clue about Next Gen but I think epicentre *might* have the odd suggestion ;-)

PS Random thought no 34.... looks like there is room for a good US distributor to not only sell the device but to spend time doing PR and advertising as the 3 above have done. But I guess w/o a sole distributor license its going to be hard to get someone to do it....

I wonder if Craig/ED/Fatih would be willing to go into partnership with someone on the board. If I was stateside based I'd be tempted - the potentially largest market really isn't being hit. The revenue from a decent set of US sales would no doubt open a lot of doors for GPH.

The larger the community gets, the more annoying 14-year slobs who want to plug and play we get. The average consumer is a lazy scum who wants everything handed to him (I won't rag on the two or three her's we may eventually get), and doesn't give a rat's ass about homebrew development and tinkering with it and the many apps it produces. Rather they come for the much promised Picodrive and GNGeo, and when they realize they don't know how to *download* games for them, they start making those shit threads we see more of every day.

The more popularity increases, the more the *forum* quality declines. The forum community, in my opinion, is worth around 50% of the whole 2X experience, after all, the 2X would be dead without a little human interaction.

- Alex

pkostrze, have you tried using a different USB cable? There are lots of reports of people using cables that came with digital cameras, etc, with better results.

No, I've only used the one that came with the GP2X... are you saying the cable may be of the same quality as the batteries that came with it? :lol: I'll try another cable and see what happens. Thanks.

I find it funny how these stupid "wishlist" threads always pop up and usually come from newbs hat just bought a GP2X. Can't you just enjoy what you just bought for now :rolleyes:

It is like someone just getting a PS3 and then posting what they want for the PS4 before even turning on the one they just got. Isn't anyone ever satisfied for more than a nanosecond? Give it a rest already ;)

I find it funny how these stupid "wishlist" threads always pop up and usually come from newbs hat just bought a GP2X. Can't you just enjoy what you just bought for now :rolleyes:

It is like someone just getting a PS3 and then posting what they want for the PS4 before even turning on the one they just got. Isn't anyone ever satisfied for more than a nanosecond? Give it a rest already ;)

You miss the point entirely. This was not intentionally a wishlist thread. If someone posted to that extent, then it's not my fault. I was only expounding my thoughts. The compnay could make some more money in america if they tried to sell there. After all, there are some "smart" people like me here. Some americans actually would know what the hell they were doing.

p.s. I love what i have, or did you know that i've been calling my GP2X my baby, and it even has a gender. It's a she and i love her very much.

I agree with both DaveC and Instantjewmix. Firstly, the wishlist posts are annoying as anything and rarely say anything new... although the one about wanting a phone integrated was... um... "novel". Secondly, America needs a really good distributor... it killed me to wait what seemed like a million years for my GP2X to go from Korea to the UK to me. I know, I'm cheap and went for the least amount of shipping available but still, I'm going to complain anyway.

I don't, however, want to see the GP2X at Best Buy or Circuit City or whatever other gadget hawking place you get the new stuff... I like the l337-ness of a small community based homebrew friendly handheld. I am l337... right?

Oh boy... why do you always think if you design the perfect next handheld, it will a success?

IT WON'T!

The only thing that's connected to success is the MARKETING.
And that's the thing that does cost more money a small company like GPH has.

You can build the crappiest device, it will be a success if you have a good marketing.
And the best device will fail if you can't do good marketing.

So, discussing about next-gen in terms of "will become popular" doesn't even make sense.

Back