Desktop Hdd In Laptop

Fyvve

Website
Visit site
Is there any way to do this? I googled for it but all the sites were talking about was the other way around, a laptop HDD in a Desktop. All help is appreciated. By the way i know that it wont look pretty but is it possible?

Space limitations aside, it IS possible, but not easy. Modded Amiga 1200s that are hacked to take 3.5" HDDs use some sort of size step-up cable I think (though dont quote me on that!). the main issue is the power, as the power for laptop drives is on pins on the end of the IDE connector, whereas normal drives have the four-pin molex type connector.

Basically, where there's a will, there's a way.

BTW - USB would suck power like nobody's business, and you could only boot from it if the BIOS supported it.

A laptop HDD only uses 5v.

A Standard IDE HDD uses both 5v for the electronics and 12V for the drive mechanism. You would need to first find a 12V rail on the laptop in order to power the drives mechanism.

The best way around this is to have an external USB drive that has its own power supply. But I am guessing by your post that you want the drive to be bootable. If you do, then you need to find out if the BIOS on the laptop will allow you to boot from USB.

WarmFluffyUK posted on Mar 30 2005 at 04:59 AM said:
The best way around this is to have an external USB drive that has its own power supply. But I am guessing by your post that you want the drive to be bootable. If you do, then you need to find out if the BIOS on the laptop will allow you to boot from USB.

this perhaps??
linkage

Last edited by a moderator:
V3X posted on Mar 30 2005 at 02:08 AM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Mar 30 2005 at 04:59 AM said:

this perhaps??
linkage

Yes that would work. Personally though I would find something that comes with an enclosure, better than accidentally touching the drive electronics and shorting or zapping it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back