Desktop Port Request - E17

CPUnltd

I remember VERY early on in the project, OPT was using e17 atop a more vanilla angstrom setup for the Pandora's OS... has anyone considered bringing that option back (either being able to replace XFCE or add it as yet another desktop option) to the Pandora since the EFL libraries reached 1.0 (officially stable) status? Personally, I'd really like to see it happen. Even Samsung is endorsing the development of Enlightenment... so it's not like things won't mature (that are lacking) pretty quickly. I was thinking about asking for LXDE or even OpenBox... but my personal preference above all (even XFCE) is Enlightenment. I even wonder if it could be ran as an SD installed option that comes up if the card is inserted before boot... just a thought, but hey... you never know.

as long as there is someone interested in it, it will happen.. just a matter of how soon... the larger the fan base, the faster it will happen.

tell you what would be outright phenomenal! getting compiz and cairo-dock compiled on Pandora (running compiz as a standalone without 3D desktops turned on using cairo-dock as the menu and docking application would be beautiful... for most standard uses, it consumes about 1-5% CPU on a Zotac nettop with a 330 ATOM processor! And that's with a 3D desktop cube running (or the expo/desktop wall combo) so I'm sure the combo would be light enough for Pandora as a base desktop without all the fancy stuff. And the cairo-dock widgets,etc will give it a nice glassy/glossy, mac-like look :D.. just a thought.

I'd love e17 as a desktop alternative. Last time I tried it, though, it was unstable and buggy as heck. The right-click context menus even went straight off the desktop when they were opened near the edge of the screen. :)

That was months ago, though. Maybe a year.

time to brush the dust off this dream since the efl libraries have reached 1.0 status a short while ago... maybe a couple of months. if no one else looks into this before I make time, we'll see what miracles I can accomplish...

Back