Developement In Beagle

drumpi

Hello, everyone:

I must do a project for university. They lend me a Beagleboard to do an embedded aplication.
This project is very "simple", but i'm totally noob with developement tools ^^U I programmed with ready-to-use IDEs (multiples languajes, at any level).
I must do a program who can translate voice into words (a few of them). So i need to use a fast program languaje, specifically, a languaje capable to manage simple graphics with a few lines. I need to see the voice waveform and his FFT to study it, and then do the aplication.

I think to use C+SDL (as i know, it is very similar to Fenix), but what do you think?
Thanks for helping me and sorry for my english (i can read it perfectly, but not write it ^^U).

Strikes me you'd learn to code on a desktop, and even write the code on a desktop, then port it to the Beagleboard, especially as you've not a lot of experience on the BB. ie: If you're learning to code, and tackling embedded, and tackling writing a relatively difficult job .. strikes me oyu want reduce the things you're up against. So start on a desktop, take at least one difficulty out of the equation.

Its not really such an easy appllication to write..

jeff

If you're using C+SDL, I don't see why there would be any difference between compiling on a beagleboard versus any other PC. Unless there is a bug in your code, like assuming char is signed.

No, no. I'm not writing in notepad or else, i wrote on dev-c++ ready to press compile-and-run button, and so on with other languajes.
And i'm not using c+sdl, i used C++, and use Fenix, no more.
I'm asking because i need to write a progam faster as i can, and i don't now if i must learn SDL, OGL or else. I only have two months to learn, so...

Drumpi said:
No, no. I'm not writing in notepad or else, i wrote on dev-c++ ready to press compile-and-run button, and so on with other languajes.
And i'm not using c+sdl, i used C++, and use Fenix, no more.
I'm asking because i need to write a progam faster as i can, and i don't now if i must learn SDL, OGL or else. I only have two months to learn, so...
You want to write a piece of speech recognition software in only two months? (™)

Good luck with that... If I were you, I'd do something easier (don't know whether you have the choice) because even if you have enough knowledge to actually pull it off, the mere debugging needed would eat up that time alone (especially if you're trying to develop for a new platform).

Last edited by a moderator:
If he already has an algorithm and just has to recognize a FEW words then it might not be altogether undoable.

I don't know if this is supposed to work on live input or not, but even if it is you should start with recorded data in a raw format. And yes, do it on the PC. In fact, if you have experience with something like Matlab, get it working there first. Then port it to C. There are libraries you can find for FFT, like FFTW.

It also seems like you shouldn't need any audio/video output at all to start with, so you should go with console C. Only if you do need it in the end should you invest time in SDL. Then you can port to Beagleboard. I know I've seen an FFT implementation for NEON somewhere. There are also some for the DSP, but interfacing that isn't going to be easy.

Summer Scholarship per chance?

It seems to me you should start by learning how a toolchain works (ie the GNU toolchain). After that you can just transplant most your programming knowledge with little or no effort.

I know I've seen an FFT implementation for NEON somewhere
Are you sure? All i remember is one of the project idea's for the beagle competition is writing a NEON optimised port of FFTW.... I don't think any ones taken it up yet.

(Mostly Off-Topic)
Ever since I learned about genetic algorithms, I've thought that they would be well-suited to human-computer interface problems like voice or text recognition. I have no experience with these though. It's probably very difficult to write a fitness function for any given phonym.

Back