Pandora Developing with JAVA on Pandora

Askarus

Forum Addict!
Today I had my first lesson in programming at university.

Didn't know what would await me there and it's a JAVA lesson.

Can we get an Eclipse PND so that I can use my Pandora.

Or is it better to use Pandebian for it?

I've seen some version of Eclipse there. I'd prefere the PND if possible.

Or is Slackware the best choice for me?

Don't say I should learn something better than JAVA.

It's for learning and it's the only course selectable for me right now :) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Eclipse is a _BEAST_. Honestly, I don't have a high opinion of it myself (takes the dev too far away from things imho), but its the one to know for work these days .. but a typical Eclipse (especially with Websphere or the like going) will need say 2-4-8GB of RAM to be effective (depending what you're doing).

No way thats going to run nicely on a Pandora.

JVM's eat a lot of RAM usually, but Eclipse is just a big monster :)

jeff

(Not that I've tried, maybe it can work in a 'small memory footprint', but I doubt it :eek: )

AFAIK, Eclipse hits up to about 200MB of RAM before it starts breathing; typically eats up 300-500 in no time.

Eclipse is a BEAST as Skeezix suggest, It can bog down my 8-core i7 laptop at work with 4GBs of ram (only if requesting more RAM wasn't such a process)..

I've got Netbeans to run with Oracle's ARM JDK on the Pandora. It's kind of usable, but it can be sluggish.. I tried it on my 512MB Rebirth Pandora added a 512MB Swap file and think I should have made it 1GB..

Ah, ok, thanks.

My teacher was using some verry small netbook with about 800 Mhz as he said to start it.

Don't think we do any serious stuff. It's the simplest things you could write on JAVA.

I think the Giga Pandora might handle this.

I'll try with Debian and Swap File I think.

Any suggestions other than eclipse?

Could try Netbeans, but perhaps with a one or two gig Swap file.. I actually use Netbeans at work even for other languages like PHP, Python and C++ because it's not a resource hog like Eclipse. I also like how it's a cleaner interface than the mess that Eclipse is.

otherwise you could just use a regular text editor and compile the program in the terminal with javac..

Tried to download Eclipse on PanDebian but failed.

Are some sources down?

Will update the list and try again.

You're right with the terminal and I think this will be he way I'll have to use my Pandora.

It'll be some nice practice but Eclipse would be nice because it shows my mistakes right after typing. I'm a beginner, you know and everything that makes life easy is welcome :D .

And of course it's good to use the programs my teacher uses.

So what about Geany? I use it all the time for simply everything. It doesn't really make you get rid of using the terminal, but I wouldn't recommend doing that anyway. At least it makes some things easier while still remaining as lean as a simple text editor.

Geany (available on the repo) is a nice programming editor. Should be java-friendly after some settings.

Always nice to speak to an idiot. I should update the package list BEFORE I download some stuff :D .

Now I've got eclipse on Pandora and do sole testings later on.

Geany on the Repo? Thanks for the tip.

I'll also try this one.

Depending on the focus of your course (OO stuff or just general programming), you could probably do most stuff just as well in C or C++. For some reason, university courses nowadays focus on Java - probably because it's such a fashionable language - while they could just as well use C(++).

For any programming language I prefer a simple text editor with simple syntax highlighting with makefiles. Huge IDEs just complicate things with very little actual advantages, besides making it easier to write crappy code faster. The main thing you need to do when coding or debugging is think, and that cannot be automated.

Right. I wanted to visit the C/C++ course in summer but I couldn't because of a Psychology subject at the same time. Don't worry, I'll do this as soon as possible.

This course is simply a Java course and I can't start writing in C/C++ ;) .

The main thing you need to do when coding or debugging is think,

No, I don't think so.

Our teacher showed us how to make a "hello world" program and how to multiply numbers.

He wants to KEEP THAT LEVEL UNTIL CHRISTMAS :blink: .

Those programs are for no use.

After Christmas we can start with programs which require some input after theire execution.

Everyone in this course has (nearly) no knowledge. Half of them (the girls) didn't even know a terminal.

I definitly don't have to think :lol: .

It's not that useful but it's nice to learn what's behind a program and as a start, nothing more. When I have some basics I'm sure I can switch fastly to a better language and do some nice stuff :) .

Right. I wanted to visit the C/C++ course in summer but I couldn't because of a Psychology subject at the same time. Don't worry, I'll do this as soon as possible.

This course is simply a Java course and I can't start writing in C/C++ ;) .

The main thing you need to do when coding or debugging is think,

No, I don't think so.

Our teacher showed us how to make a "hello world" program and how to multiply numbers.

He wants to KEEP THAT LEVEL UNTIL CHRISTMAS :blink: .

Those programs are for no use.

After Christmas we can start with programs which require some input after theire execution.

Everyone in this course has (nearly) no knowledge. Half of them (the girls) didn't even know a terminal.

I definitly don't have to think :lol: .

It's not that useful but it's nice to learn what's behind a program and as a start, nothing more. When I have some basics I'm sure I can switch fastly to a better language and do some nice stuff :) .

i am almost envious. i am in a Java course right now, and on the second assignment we're already on collections/arrays, stringbuffer/stringbuilder and JUnit. a little *too* fast for me, i think.

Geany works nicely I think.

I need the JRE from Oracle in my appdata/java folder.

Does anyone have a link for me?

I also need javac in /bin/sh.

Where Do I have to put the javac as /bin/sh is only a link and I can't find out where it goes.

/bin/sh is the shell.

By default, the Linux shell is bash, so /bin/sh is a link to /bin/bash

You probably meant that you need javac in your PATH.

You're the Linux master here, not me. Still a beginner :) .

Where do I have to put it then?

In Geany's appdata folder?

I don't really know about Java on Zaxxon, i think the new .pnd will install the oracle java, so it should add the PATH automatically.

That said, i'm not sure if the jdk (the developer part) is included. Ask the maintainer.

Check this:

Oracles JDK s now installed.

When compiling Javac is still missing but I didn't get javac yet.

When running the program directly without compiling Java is found but has some problems to run the program.

121027-183441.png

Welcome to java ^^.

That was the language my students learned, they were sooooooo happy with it ;^).

You should consider registering on a java forum if you want to increase your chances.

Back