GP2X Development In Ubuntu

jkgp2x

Still Fresh
i really need help setting up a dev environment in ubuntu. I cant seem to get it to work. it seems like everything is missing a step or 2 on how to get things working. If someone knows STEP by STEP directions to set up everything that would be great.

Install the 'build-essential' package, then download the open2x toolchain. Run the setup script (not as root, as user please), and wait an hour or two. You should then have a working toolchain :)

If you're on Edgy Eft, there are pre-built Open2x toolchain and library packages on the Open2x wiki :)

I've downloaded the toolchain and libs then what do i do with them. there was no install script. When i do get them installed how do i set up a development environment. Could i use anjuta or something like that because i dont know how to write makefile scripts.

jkgp2x posted on Mar 25 2007 at 08:03 PM said:
I've downloaded the toolchain and libs then what do i do with them. there was no install script. When i do get them installed how do i set up a development environment. Could i use anjuta or something like that because i dont know how to write makefile scripts.

As Orkie mentioned the pre-build toolchains on the WiKi are for Ubuntu Edgy and I use that for a good chunk of my own development.

Assuming you just install the Open2x tool-chain as directed in the WiKi then your dealing with a fairly normal cross-compiler. You just need to either add that to cross-compilers./bin to your system path or just declare the full path to the tools in your makefile (or calling shell-script).

Using the Open2x toolchain is just like using the normal tools except you call out to them with the cross-compiler name in front of the tool (i.e. gcc = arm-open2x-linux-gcc etc. etc.).

There is no install script as such (the problem is making a simple to use script for all OS'es) but if your stuck I guess I could knock up an install script calling out to SUDO as appropriate for Ubuntu Edgy in a few mins. It might actually be quite a good idea :D.

As for wrapping the toolchain with a nice IDE, it is not a bad idea and could be done fairly easily but it is not something I have given great thought to (I do most of my development over SSH from whatever device I have to hand ;)).

Last edited by a moderator:
Blah posted on Mar 26 2007 at 10:30 AM said:
in a perfect world: sudo apt-get install open2x-dev

Agreed, that is an ideal, are you offering to maintain the package and get it entered into the Universe then (and Debian 1st to get it there) ;).

alrite i got everything working. i got a makefile script working. but i would still really like to use an IDE for it.

I think you could set up Eclipse to work with it easily enough.

I never tried it though as its a large download and all I have is dialup (which is slightly better than IP over Carrier Pidgeon).

You could also try code::blocks for Linux which is what I am currently using for Windows. Great IDE, just make sure you use the nightly builds.

Zettablade said:
Heh, hey yaustar, didn't know you did gp2x ;)
I just saw that you have one as well. Welcome to the club :p

Back