Did we get different stickers for the premium pandoras

Dina

Still Fresh
Hi!

I've just received a premium pandora and seem to remember that they were going to have different (red i think...) stickers under the battery.

I really dont care what sticker I get but honestly I'm not terribly happy with the build quality. The case is warped; the lid doesn't close properly because of it. One of the rubber bits on top of the screen is missing too.

I'm just concerned that since the sticker says first batch that its refurbished or something else.

Does anybody have similar problems or anything?

Did we get different stickers or is mine actually new?

Thanks in advance,

I still love my Pandora and don't want to send it away :D

well, i don't remember ever seeing anything about a red sticked, but i cant say i saw everything either xD.

anyhow, i got a premium a few days ago, and its first batch as well. But unlike yours, mine is actually just about as perfect as it could get... my only complain is that the stylus is wedged way too tight !

i hurt my fingers everytimes i need to get it out, but it gotta erode overtime so, all in all, perfect =D.

Dina, the cases aren't perfect, but they're close. If you're talking about how there's a bit of a gap on the left side of the screen/speaker housing when it's closed, that's normal.

The rubber bit should be there. Maybe Craig will send you one?

This isn't going to be a commercial-quality casing on the unit, as that would be outrageously expensive to produce, so this is to be expected.

Like any of the people whom I love, my Pandora isn't completely perfect, but I love it anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard that the stickers were going to be made/used, but they didn't arrive on time for the first units or something like that. Though if you jbust received the unit and it still doesn't have a premium sticker then Craig probably abandoned the idea.

If it has a First Batch sticker, then consider that even better. Those were supposed to go to those of use who have been waiting / waited for 2+ years.

Last edited by a moderator:
My premuim Pandora has a first batch sticker, but the build quality is perfect. :)

(The lid doesn't close perfectly on the left side, but that's a problem with all Pandoras)

My premium is pretty good. Had to fix the shoulder buttons myself and the case has some odd defects that seem like it was caused by the moulding or something. Anyone else have a 'slope' on their device where the two case sides meet? Like someone dragged a knife or something along the edge of the Pandora's case?

I can't help feel like an ass, because it seems that we just "took away" the pandoras that were ment for you...

Me so saaad...

I can't help feel like an ass, because it seems that we just "took away" the pandoras that were ment for you...

Me so saaad...

Don't. You injected much-needed capital into the project which allowed the rest of us to get our units much faster than we would have otherwise AND it increased the likelihood that the project will be a success in the long run. That means better software too!

I'm kind of pissed off.

First-batch stickers where supposed to be for first-batchers only :angry:

Me so saaad...

Don't. You injected much-needed capital into the project which allowed the rest of us to get our units much faster than we would have otherwise AND it increased the likelihood that the project will be a success in the long run. That means better software too!

I hate to be a jerk about it - but so far I'm not seeing any proof of that. I've seen a lot of "Premium" people showing up with Pandoras, but -no- progress past the first day 20:00 on the pre-orders (where we were two weeks ago.)

I'm kind of pissed off.

First-batch stickers where supposed to be for first-batchers only :angry:

I thought "Premium Pandora" was supposed to be units pulled from the 2nd batch parts and sold at a higher price - and not be "First Batch" labeled. Besides the labels, they're all the same. I -did- expect that -only- first batch pre-orders would get the "First Batch" stickers. Giving those out to the "Premium" units REALLY feels like they're selling our units out from under us - effectively selling them twice.

I understand the whole capital needs and selling at a high price point now to enable increased production speed. But that sticker - with "First Batch" on it was our (first batch pre-orders only real claim to differentiate our support for the project from it's early days. Having them show up now on the "Premium" units feels like getting hit up side the head with a cold fish. A very out-of-touch move by OPL - rather disgusting really.

OPL - We've been hanging out here for well over 2 years for our "First Batch" units. Please show some respect? Labeling 7 day Pandoras as "First Batch" isn't cool.

Grench

I thought "Premium Pandora" was supposed to be units pulled from the 2nd batch parts and sold at a higher price - and not be "First Batch" labeled. Besides the labels, they're all the same. I -did- expect that -only- first batch pre-orders would get the "First Batch" stickers. Giving those out to the "Premium" units REALLY feels like they're selling our units out from under us - effectively selling them twice.

I understand the whole capital needs and selling at a high price point now to enable increased production speed. But that sticker - with "First Batch" on it was our (first batch pre-orders only real claim to differentiate our support for the project from it's early days. Having them show up now on the "Premium" units feels like getting hit up side the head with a cold fish. A very out-of-touch move by OPL - rather disgusting really.

OPL - We've been hanging out here for well over 2 years for our "First Batch" units. Please show some respect? Labeling 7 day Pandoras as "First Batch" isn't cool.

Grench

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, when I get my upgraded second batch Pandora, I'll peel the sticker off.

It's just a sticker.

It effectively is, now, just a sticker.

No, it wasn't. It -was- a symbol distinguishing an early supporter of this project. Being in the "First Batch" was something that people could latch onto as being 'special' for having been insanely patient through the whole project.

Here's a twist - will they run out of "First Batch" stickers because they're getting used on the "Premium" units?

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, when I get my upgraded second batch Pandora, I'll peel the sticker off.

First Batch, Premium and Second Batch

The hardware is all the same. These -were- names to distinguish the people who had joined the project at different times in the cycle. Now it is mud.

How do you feel that your second batch Pandora will be "upgraded"?

Have any non-premium Pandoras been shipped since the 7 day "Premium" units started being sold?

Sigh. First: THIS

800 in January, likely that for February as well.

Second, are your really that upset over a sticker that nobody will ever see? Are you going to pop out your battery every time you show someone your Pandora so that they can see that yours says "first batch"? Or is is simply enough to know that we supported the project and made it happen?

I was first batch before "upgrading" to premium. I never really wanted a different sticker because I really care about the Pandora not the sticker, which could be easily produced by my printer and some photoshop, aside from the fact that I will hopefully never have to see it. :) Truly being first batch or first day is not something that can be taken away by a sticker!

@ David: I believe they are at 600 units in the first 2 weeks of February, so 800 units is likely to be eclipsed by the end of the month. :)

As a collector of books, music, DVDs, art, etc - things like "first edition", "first printing", "number xxxx of yyyy" can mean things. Some times it's marketing. Some times, ie in the case of art prints, it truly denotes uniqueness and value.

I bet some of you hard core Linux/pandora fans may even consider the pandora as a work of art? We can poo poo the concept of the sticker - but hopefully it was a token effort to denote something onto the supporters.

I'll be honest, I totally upgraded my 2nd batch preorder for the hopes of getting something to distinguish my pandora from some if the others.

Dina, the cases aren't perfect, but they're close. If you're talking about how there's a bit of a gap on the left side of the screen/speaker housing when it's closed, that's normal.

The rubber bit should be there. Maybe Craig will send you one?

This isn't going to be a commercial-quality casing on the unit, as that would be outrageously expensive to produce, so this is to be expected.

Like any of the people whom I love, my Pandora isn't completely perfect, but I love it anyway.

Aaah, got you. Sorry, I didn't know that the gap when the lid is closed was an issue. I take it all back then.

I love this thing... :D

Sigh. First: THIS

800 in January, likely that for February as well.

Second, are your really that upset over a sticker that nobody will ever see? Are you going to pop out your battery every time you show someone your Pandora so that they can see that yours says "first batch"? Or is is simply enough to know that we supported the project and made it happen?

800 in January is about 200 per week.

Craig said in another post that he was narrowing in on 500 per week.

Predicting 800 for February is either wrong or Craig's statements of production increases due to the "Premium" units is wrong. Please pick one.

Yes - that sticker DID/DOES have meaning. It is the demarcation of a potential collector's item - and included in that sticker is a serial number. Using it on the non-"First Batch" pre-order units essentially devalues it's "First Batch" pre-order/believer status.

As a collector of books, music, DVDs, art, etc - things like "first edition", "first printing", "number xxxx of yyyy" can mean things. Some times it's marketing. Some times, ie in the case of art prints, it truly denotes uniqueness and value.

I bet some of you hard core Linux/pandora fans may even consider the pandora as a work of art? We can poo poo the concept of the sticker - but hopefully it was a token effort to denote something onto the supporters.

I'll be honest, I totally upgraded my 2nd batch preorder for the hopes of getting something to distinguish my pandora from some if the others.

Exactly. Many of the "Premium" buyers were expecting special denotation on their units as well to set them apart from "First Batch", "Second Batch" and general production (down the road?) units. Please see the original poster's comments to this effect.

It may seem like a mountain out of a mole hill - but for the mole it can be a pretty important bump in the path.

Back