Did You Get Your Retail Wiz? Post About It Here!

I got mine last week, and it's a great machine! Spent some hours playing GBA-games already and listening to music on my walk to work. Haven't watch that many movies yet, since I'd rather be playing with the emulators :)

Digging mine so far, unfortunately as my luck goes I recieved a somewhat defective unit, it won't read in windows once connected with the USB cable but chages with it just fine, even says USB connected the second it gets connected, just won't show up in windows.

Also am I the only once who noticed you can hear the buttons being clicked when using headphones?

i ordered my wiz today from jack of all games... :D i told my misses i only gave 20 quid for it to shut er up... :rolleyes: ...can anyone tell me if u can play seven days on the wiz... many thanks

I just got mine. Normally I wouldn't but as I couldn't wait for Pandora anymore I decided to buy the Wiz :)

The screen tearing scares the hell out of me. I hope it's not something that cannot be fixed. As a fan of perfect smooth like silk graphics it's something that annoys me a lot. It would be stupid to have perfect 60fps emulation and have a screen tearing scrolling :p. I hope it's either fixed with new bios or maybe software solutions.

The d-pad buttons makes me a little afraid but I think it won't be a major issue. I am charging it now and will try some mame games to see how it works out. Personally the best controls for me were in GP32 (till the joypad started disfunctioning), the GP2X were a bit annoying (and later the disfunctionde too) but with the left dpad it might be better. I will just have to play some games and see.

The nice plastic pen, I prefer it from the one in GP2X-200 because that one was closing when I clicked, it wasn't still (can't explain). Anyways.

Also a Flash player as a standard was a very good move. So many flash games and anims now are free to play. Great!

The first thing I'd like to really do with it is of course developing. I'd like to see how it performs for both software rendered realtime graphics and 3d acceleration. Currently there are only Linux toolchain.

alot of the emulators have v-sync/anti-tearing methods to be used so it's really not an issue if that's why you bought (like me)

The d-pad buttons on the right actually work pretty well to my liking, it's really no different than a 360 or PS if you think about it, there just a bit closer together. Though the left d-pad is WAY to sensative to diagonal detecting so try playing SMB3 or something doing a run & duck...won't work out how you want it to.

The flash player idea is great but it's still far from perfect, stil chopping in a lot of flash games.

Hello everybody,

I order a Wiz to GBAX, since 30th june, and, every week, they say that she arrives next week. I'm tired of waiting.

Where the wiz is avalaible?

Thanks in advance

Mick4U said:
Hello everybody,

I order a Wiz to GBAX, since 30th june, and, every week, they say that she arrives next week. I'm tired of waiting.

Thanks in advance

Play-asia appears to have them right now.
Do me a favour and use this affiliate link so I can some money out of your order.
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-zvy-71-d1-49-en-84-j-70-2z59.html

I'm waiting on my GBAX order as well and getting very impatient, but it has to have shipped by now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mick4U said:
Hello everybody,

Thanks in advance

consolesource.com for usa/canada

I got mine a few days ago and already posted my first thoughts on my blog: http://nooskewl.com/blogs/trent/?p=220

I've had a bit more time with it now. I've had time to test out the emulation on the games I own
(a couple snes, nes, and gb games) and it is fantastic. I bought it mainly so I can port my own
games to it, but I've hit a snag with OpenGL (see the opengl thread in development).

I just got it. It's nice and small, much better formfactor then the gp2x. Unit is responsive and seems to work ok. I'm having trouble with sd cards though, but that's because my cards are oldish and maybe because of unicode and dosfs don't work together.

My unit finally arrived after a long, long wait, and many emails exchanged from the helpful GBAX.com who had trouble getting their stock.

First impressions? Like it a lot, it was even smaller than I expected, and the buttons do feel good, but I worry about the face buttons being too easy to push. I only wish the shoulder buttons were actually wrapped around the shoulders, not placed on the top.
Picodrive is as awesome as ever, though it doesn't seem nearly as optimised as I remember it. The tearing is a little weird, but the pollux fix is working pretty well. SNES is a little dissappointing at the moment, and Gba, well I've yet to really test that as for some reason most roms aren't working...

There's still a lot more for me to try on this thing, but outlook is good!

Just got mine today, can't wait to get the time to set up MAME on it and blast away .. I'm a huge fan of shooters, and I think this machine will do just fine as the mega-Shooter collection finds its way onto the SD card ..

Generally, I'm not super impressed with the build quality of the Wiz, its a bit too prone to rattle and so on, but I haven't been using it much so I'll reserve final judgement until I've had a few hours of playing on it. I look forward to some 3D games in the future, seems to me there isn't really anything good thats pushing the hardware limits yet, but if anyone wants to recommend something I'd be happy to hear about it ..

I'll add a few first impressions after gaming a bit. The screen is gorgeous, it really is. The size however is a bit small for vertical games, I was having trouble controlling in battle garegga while trying to fire. And also the menu button sticks, it's not really meant for pumping the shots in shooters.

It's awesome,

The screen is so clear it makes the old games look jaggier than I remember :D
The rattle is not really noticable, sounds slightly worse than shaking a DS with the lid open. But it's only the buttons :D
It's pretty responsive, and once I made a MUSIC directory it found my songs, and it goes pretty loud.

So far I've tested the Vice emulator, Picodrive, Albion and New Super Pang. All ran fine, with no noticeable slowdown. The screen tearing was pretty noticable on Picodrive. But the pollux_set fixed it.

My only problem is that copying games to the SD card doesn't make them show up in the launcher automatically (which I really think it should do), and I can't seem to find how to do it manually.

mhadf said:
My only problem is that copying games to the SD card doesn't make them show up in the launcher automatically (which I really think it should do), and I can't seem to find how to do it manually.

Alex wrote a tool for it:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,116,120

There're lots of threads about it too, e.g. look here.

Back