Did You Get Your Retail Wiz? Post About It Here!

Hi, I'm new here.

I finally took the plunge and went and ordered the Wiz from www.GBAX.com. I've had an email from them saying that it has been shipped on Wednesday by normal post (not 24 delivery) Hope it comes soon.

Hi, I'm spanish Wiz owner. It's a greate console, now I'm developing an amateur game for Wiz.

Got mine a few days ago, tis quite fun. Suprised that my favorite thing on it seems to be the Comic Viewer. I've been reading comics on the bus and at breaks during college. It functions well and I can actually read it, also pretty neat you can listen to music at the same time.

Folkz,

I got my wiz 2 weeks ago, and it's been bitter sweet. They don't tell you what a pain it is to get different emus running. Nor the sheer amount of learning that has to be done. and you have to self-learn how each system works and how each Emu behaves. None of which is adequately documented.

Things to do: (would emu-noob really fork 200 clams if he knew this was the task list for EACH system?
1) Find emu
2) Learn how to install
3) Hunt for BIOS (risky business)
4) Hunt for game ROMs (risky business)
5) Debug

Don't get me started on the whole BIOS hunt. Or the Game ROM hunt. Granted, the wiz seems to be a celebrated next-gen to gp2x, that's fine. If you're an emu-junkie, but the wiz is being marketed as an alternative to a gameboy.

The gamebox tagline is "whatever you want." Uh, no. We're playing by Linux Rules. "If you take the time to figure it out you can probably get it to work."

--Spycloud

My first impression was sweet! now I can finally play my old school games! Hmm...now how the heck do I get these ROMs to work on this...

Got my OLD c64 games working! Pretty cool. Takes a couple of weeks, but it's working out. :)

What is up with that FUNKY powercable? And the one you can buy at GP2X.com looks like it would work in asia but not here. Model boys, use usb small port for power.

Just got mine a couple days ago, and I'm liking it. I've got most of the emus working. NeoGeo is a little rough (hard to select ROMs and get them to play), and a lot of my MAME stuff doesn't show up in the ROM list, but it's otherwise pretty cool.

My only gripes are:

* Boot-up to main GPH menu takes a while. Kinda slow!

* Screen seems a bit delicate. I've got a temporary screen protector on it, but I ordered the one cut for it just to be sure.

* The official leather case gets lousy reviews, so I'm looking for something that isn't bulky yet protects in my pocket. So far, no luck.

* Native Music application is pretty cruddy. No playlists or anything. Needs improvement.

I'm very happy with the way the emus run, though (mostly) and I'm glad I got this over the Dingoo. I still might try the Dingoo, but there's no question that the Wiz is a better system in terms of raw power.

Yeh the official wiz case sucks, in numerous ways. I did find a carabiner neoprene 'sock' thingie that will hold it snugly-ish. Lowepro hipshot 20.

And there are some usb charger adapters that will allow us to wall-charge the wiz.

Hi!

Got my Wiz thursday. Have been looking around and trying some of the games and emulators (been playing the old Lucas Arts adventures again, nice :) ).
Vice seems to expericence some slow downs now and again. Don't know why that is?

Now I'm starting development on my own game and I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions later on ;) .

What disappoints me about the Wiz though:
- Touch screen is really unstable (especially in the Y direction). Is there a fix for this or any tips on how to work around it when you program for it?
- Screen has a strange variations in colors (like a filter being applied on top of the image). I can live with it though and the viewing angle of oleds really impresses me.
- Startup time is around 20 sec. Quite annoying, but again, not a show stopper.
- I wish I could reconnect the Wiz with the USB cable without plugging it out and in again.

But all in all a nice little system. And I love the lower, old school, requirements (320x240 resolution most of all). Perfect for a lonely developer.

Hi,
I am in Italy, just got my WIZ last week,
works well with the latest emulators, I havent considered the flash/free games at all so far.
Generally I am satisfied (for what I've seen so far)

What I like: no drivers or appz/suites needed on pc, not too heavy or too big
What I dont like: screen size (I was expecting something slightly bigger-similar to a PSP-) controls cross too close/small, interface/options too minimal, no volume settings, on-off button TOO small!

bye ;)

bionic said:
Hi,
I am in Italy, just got my WIZ last week,
works well with the latest emulators, I havent considered the flash/free games at all so far.

I kind of ignored the flash games too, but now that I've played them I have to say there's some good stuff there. The Square Tower Defense is really good! The puzzle games are decent, too. Animatch is pretty good, and I found myself playing it for about an hour last night.

Give them a shot. You might be surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im in Australia and thinking of getting a WIZ. Im thinking of buying it from Think geek as there price is pretty decent and ive heard others from Australia have got theres from there.

So my question is are Think geek good to buy from?

Sorry if its in wrong section im new and this is my 1st post.

Dude,

I don't know about Australia, but I ordered the Wiz from ThinkGeek (after checking on ebay for 2 weeks and not seeing a big enough price break to go used). In the U.S., it was delivered the next day (using the cheapest shipping method). The thing works awesome and I take it with me everywhere so I can play it every chance I get. My experience with ThinkGeek and the Wiz has been very positive. ThinkGeek even has a $10 off coupon online.

Word of caution.

The Wiz is not a Game Boy. It won't be at it's full potential out of the box. You have to do some configuring to get everything to work right. I'm used to that from installing Linux systems on different PCs. But I mean, it's real exciting once you get everything going and you can fit a Sega Genesis, TG-16, NES, SNES, Amiga, plus arcade and flash games in one unit that fits in your pocket! Right now I'm researching an open source project called "Wizipedia" (offline Wikipedia readable on the Wiz).

What are you waiting for?

spycloud said:
Folkz,

I got my wiz 2 weeks ago, and it's been bitter sweet. They don't tell you what a pain it is to get different emus running. Nor the sheer amount of learning that has to be done. and you have to self-learn how each system works and how each Emu behaves. None of which is adequately documented.

Things to do: (would emu-noob really fork 200 clams if he knew this was the task list for EACH system?
1) Find emu
2) Learn how to install
3) Hunt for BIOS (risky business)
4) Hunt for game ROMs (risky business)
5) Debug

Don't get me started on the whole BIOS hunt. Or the Game ROM hunt. Granted, the wiz seems to be a celebrated next-gen to gp2x, that's fine. If you're an emu-junkie, but the wiz is being marketed as an alternative to a gameboy.

The gamebox tagline is "whatever you want." Uh, no. We're playing by Linux Rules. "If you take the time to figure it out you can probably get it to work."

--Spycloud

Spycloud,

Hey, there's always XBOX live and whatever the Wii online service is called if you want to emulate games the easy way. It took me a few hours to get the Wiz working right and learn the different emus' controls, but I prefer the DIY way anyway.

You set it up once, then after you start playing the games you learn the ins and outs of the different emus. Everything has a learning curve - remember the 1st time you used the Internet? The Wiz is a Korean-made product based on freely-developed s/w, 'nuff said.

Welcome to open source, baby! PM if you have a question - I might even respond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just received my Wiz a couple days ago. First impressions:

(+) Positives:

- OLED Screen is really nice. I haven't owned a portable gaming system in awhile. The last I owned was a Gameboy Advance which needed to be in PERFECT lighting for me to see it, so I was always really dissapointed in that. The Wiz screen really makes the gaming experience that much more 'portable' since you don't need the best lighting to be able to play.

- Setup was easy. I haven't used many emulators in quite some time (5+ years at least), but getting back into the swing of things was no problem. Downloading the emulators from the Archive site was straight forward, and all the included Readme files made things dead simple. Sure one can complain about finding system BIOS files and ROM's to play, but honestly if that is an issue for you... welcome to the world of emulators. If you've been playing MAME or any console emulators on your computer, this should not be a surprise to you. I loaded up a 32GB SDHC card with Emulators and ROMS, and for the most part all Emulators played immediately without any configuration required. When it comes to NEO GEO and MAME, of course there will be a few other things to do. I was playing games within an hour of unboxing.

(-) Negatives:

- Size is great for portability, but too small for playability. There's a reason game consoles have ergonomic controllers these days (XBOX, PS1-3). After beating Simpsons Arcade in MAME, my thumb was a little cramped (45 mins of Gameplay maybe?). Due to the size, I can't fully extend my thumb, and that is an awkward way to hit those small buttons. The buttons are quite close together as well. I would put up with a slightly larger console to enhance playability, whilst sacrificing portability.

- Screen size is a little too small for some games. Some really detailed games are a little hard to look at on the tiny screen. Again, I would sacrifice portability (increased size), battery life, for a bigger screen.

- Proprietary Charging Cable? Why? That's all I have to say about that.

Despite these negatives, I'm really happy with the purchase. What I've noted are just grievances with overall design that cannot be changed unless GPH releases a new console. So far, the ability to play so many classics on this handheld outweigh some of the functionality problems people have mentioned (screen tearing, etc). I can look past all the negatives for what this console provides me with. :)

Mine arrived just the other day. At first I had a little trouble with some games, but I'm slowly getting it figured out. I picked it up off Think Geek because I want to play some unique and fun homebrew games (notably Super Tux, CartoonWiz and Animatch) on the go. I'm also going to see about possibly developing for it myself -- assuming I can figure out how to set up a development environment for it.

I picked up a Retro Mini X from Think Geek earlier, so I really don't care 'bout emulating anymore. :lol:

Just got it. Everything about it is awesome except one weird screen issue.
Right in the middle of the screen there is a horizontal line of pixels just slightly off color. Anyone else seen this?

Just got confirmation from gp2x.de that payment has been received (which i already knew :p), waiting for EvilDragon to ship it off to Belgium now :)

Back