Diffrence

I started using linux 3 years ago. I dove right in with Gentoo. The documents are quite brilliant. It takes a good couple of moths to really understand whats happening, and how to fix problems if some come up.

One of the greatest things about linux, is the communty it has. I never realized this when i had initially switched, but you soon understand how great it is. For example, if I have a problem i cant fix with my own knowledge, i go straight to the forums. What happens if a peice of software doesn't install in windows? where do u turn to (this actually happened to me recently when i had to instal visual studio)?

Virui and spyware are only a problem if you don't bother to protect yourself from them. The only time I've every needed to reinstall the OS on this computer is becuase Microsoft's own SP2 fucked up. Before that I had successfully avoided up to 90% of all the possible attacks and the only infections I ever incurred was due to my own stupidity.

The way I see it, if all I ever used my computer for was internet and small random things like printing documents I might concider Linux but between hardcore gaming/emulation, Digital art, networking, etc it just seems it would be an awful lot of work to switch to another OS and find alternative ways to continue doing these things. But it's not Linux's fault, it's Bill Gates for saturating society with Windows and making all others harder to accept.

The way I see it, is you shouldn't switch to Linux because its "cool". You switch because it works for you (fulfils all your computing needs). If windows worked for me, i would be using it.

There have been many times I have wanted to switch back to Windows, but i realize i can live with the bad to get the good.

Basically, use what works, until it doesn't anymore.

I think people should try Linux at least once. I was fed up with viruses, spyware, and such to the point that I said 'ENOUGH' and switched to Linux, and have never had a problem like that since. I remember it used to get so bad that I needed to re-install windows on a bi-monthly basis, and that was with quite a few anit-virus and anti-spyware programs running. I've installed Linux maybe 3 times in the last 4 years, and that was because I got new computers. Granted that I played with Linux before that, but I'm no computer guru, so I think it's possible for anyone to do it really. The only thing I miss is games, but I have a Game Cube, PS2, Nintendo SP, and soon a GP2X, so I have plenty of games without my computer. It still plays Doom3 and a few others though, so it's not a complete loss.

So yes, if you comfortable with windows, by all means keep on using it, because there is no way you can spread viruses or spyware to me.

Thanx,
Stan
If you ask me, that was your problem right there. I find most Anti-Virus software is flakier than a Flake, so having several installed at once... ouch. Norton in particular, I've never got along with. It's always hated my PC's with a vengeance, and on one spectacular occasion on one machine, it wouldn't allow net access AT ALL unless you turned the firewall* off. While I grant this is one way to guarantee a machine is free from intrusion, it wasn't really the one I was hoping for.

*Norton Internet Security. It came with a nephew's PC, which is why I'm talking about firewalls instead of anti-virus software.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would 100% recommend Ubuntu. Anyone that would like to try Ububtu Linux without removing Windows or installing anything to their hard drive can use a Live CD, which basically has Linux on a bootable CD so you can try it out and see what you think. The Live CD will be tons slower than an actual installation though. Also, you don't even have to download the CD, you can order as many as you want for free from here:

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Yes, its completely free. I have been sent over 10 Ubuntu cds to hand out to people, for both Hoary Hedgehog and Breezy Badger releases of the OS.

I started using linux 3 years ago. I dove right in with Gentoo. The documents are quite brilliant. It takes a good couple of moths to really understand whats happening, and how to fix problems if some come up.

One of the greatest things about linux, is the communty it has. I never realized this when i had initially switched, but you soon understand how great it is. For example, if I have a problem i cant fix with my own knowledge, i go straight to the forums. What happens if a peice of software doesn't install in windows? where do u turn to (this actually happened to me recently when i had to instal visual studio)?
Gentoo is what finally allowed me to switch also, for the same reasons. The documentation got me up and running and when I hit a snag the forums were there to help. In fact, I use the same nickname/avatar on this forum that I use on Gentoo's.

I would 100% recommend Ubuntu. Anyone that would like to try Ububtu Linux without removing Windows or installing anything to their hard drive can use a Live CD, which basically has Linux on a bootable CD so you can try it out and see what you think. The Live CD will be tons slower than an actual installation though. Also, you don't even have to download the CD, you can order as many as you want for free from here:

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Yes, its completely free. I have been sent over 10 Ubuntu cds to hand out to people, for both Hoary Hedgehog and Breezy Badger releases of the OS.
Yeah, if you want to try Linux I hear that Ubuntu and Kubuntu are easy to use and install. I'm actually thinking of trying it soon just to see what all the commotion is about.

Thanx,
Stan

Last edited by a moderator:
Back