Digital Audio Mixing and Mastering Console for the OpenPandora????

Kevin Osuna

dear, EvilDragon:

I've been following the OP for a long while now and I'm very interested on the 1ghz version.

The only thing that keeps me from getting one, besides the money (hahaha), is that I'm also very interested on

learning more about audio engineering and I have no idea about the capabilities that the

Open-Pandora

has for audio mastering software.

As you

obviously may

know, there's always free and not free downloadable software and also

software cracks

for almost everything people need, and this is the case for what I'm looking for, but I don't know if the OP can run those programs properly, since most of those programs are designed to run on Windows or Mac.

• Is there an specific audio mixing/mastering program that will work properly on the Pandora that I can just download straight to it?

I think the Open-Pandora is more than perfect for someone who's studying to become an

audio engineer

, since it is possible to work with it at any time, anywhere, and because of the ability it has of sharing media on the web. that's why I have my eyes on it.

one of the things I would like to have is a real

audio-studio environment

in my pocket

, on an completely open device. that's something you cannot get from a smartphone or a tablet, S-phones just have very basic apps and tablets are just not open like the Pandora Open Source.

Even more people would love the Pandora if they see it more as a work-station and not just as a gaming handheld.

that's why everybody thinks it is too expensive

, because they compare it with a gaming console like a 3DS and not with a laptop like a Toshiba tecra or satellite (a Pandora similar one of course.). and you are hearing this from someone who loves gaming, so just imagine the words that would come out from the mouth of some business man.

I believe the Open Pandora has a bright future STILL.

;)
I will appreciate your answer, EvilDragon.

I'm from

Mexico

, by the way...

:) Congrats for the great work.!

Gracias por tu tiempo, DragonMaligno, hahaha...

PS: I really like the new look of the website... good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
if you are looking for an more traditional audio environment check milky tracker, however I think that sunvox is more flexible and sophisticated.

Sunvox is cute, but it has absolutely nothing to do with audio mixing, let alone mastering.

[edit: likewise for milkytracker]

Even though it would be awesome to have a full DAW on the pandora, I don't think the screen is exactly right for it. Even with an external screen (tv-out) connected you would only have 800x480 + 720x576 (pal) or something.

Still, a full audio-setup with a real-time kernel (is this possible on arm and our soc?), jackd, a daw like ardour (ardour uses SSE extensively, which is not available on arm, maybe qtractor?), and jamin for mastering, would be absolutely awesome.

However it would take a LOT of effort by some extremely dedicated people to make a system like this available.

When I get my new unit I will be working on porting Puredata though, and arguably you could build your own DAW out of that.

ps; can somebody do something about that formatting in OP? it's hurting my eyes.

ps2; why is this in this subforum? seems more like something for general talk perhaps?

I ship a realtime kernel with Slackware.

Also, i compiled ardour, jamin and some other DAW apps.

Unfortunately, the internal audio card is not jack-friendly.

Sunvox is cute, but it has absolutely nothing to do with audio mixing, let alone mastering.

[edit: likewise for milkytracker]

Even though it would be awesome to have a full DAW on the pandora, I don't think the screen is exactly right for it. Even with an external screen (tv-out) connected you would only have 800x480 + 720x576 (pal) or something.

Still, a full audio-setup with a real-time kernel (is this possible on arm and our soc?), jackd, a daw like ardour (ardour uses SSE extensively, which is not available on arm, maybe qtractor?), and jamin for mastering, would be absolutely awesome.

However it would take a LOT of effort by some extremely dedicated people to make a system like this available.

When I get my new unit I will be working on porting Puredata though, and arguably you could build your own DAW out of that.

ps; can somebody do something about that formatting in OP? it's hurting my eyes.

ps2; why is this in this subforum? seems more like something for general talk perhaps?
yes, it would be very convenient to to have a full DAW on it.

and yes, the resolution isn't very appropriate for it, but I guess it is possible to make something specifically designed for the Pandora, but like you said: it would be necessary the cooperation of very dedicated people to make that happen. I wish I knew about computer programing.

PS. This topic is the very first thing I have posted on this forum at so I really didn't know were to go :S - ...and "ASK EVIL-DRAGON QUESTIONS" sounded very appropriate. haha . Sholud I post this same topic in general talk? what would the difference be?

Jack is the Linux audio router, and the internal sound card of the Pandora doesn't work well with it, at least for now.

But you can plug an usb audio card, or like you asked, a midi to usb device.

Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum. I don't want to dissappoint you directly but I can say that Pandora is not really suited for realtime (multitrack) recording and mastering. Usually the audio processing is rather CPU heavy task, of course depending on how well is particular application written. Classical multitrack recording and mastering usually requires a lot of RAM for storing manipulated data and stuff like EQ'ing, compression and effects needs strong processing power. Neither of that Pandora has for this particular purpose. Not mentioning that support of external USB souncards with necessary inputs might be limited.

BUT, you can already use Audacity (multitrack audio editor) for some simpler recording and editing. You can also try formentioned Sunvox if you want to learn something more about synthesis, sampling, routing and even mixing in an alternative way. Both programs have desktop PC versions so you can try them out in advance to get the feeling and there are plenty of tutorials for both on youtube.

May the sonic force be with you brother ;-)

Edit: Oh, and yes you can play Sunvox modules with external MIDI keyboard connected. There is just a little latency with 1GHz Pandora standard linux kernel. It's hearable but not that annoying. And with the realtime kernel on Slackware you might get better results although I didn't try (yet ).

Hi Kevin, welcome to the forum. I don't want to dissappoint you directly but I can say that Pandora is not really suited for realtime (multitrack) recording and mastering. Usually the audio processing is rather CPU heavy task, of course depending on how well is particular application written. Classical multitrack recording and mastering usually requires a lot of RAM for storing manipulated data and stuff like EQ'ing, compression and effects needs strong processing power. Neither of that Pandora has for this particular purpose. Not mentioning that support of external USB souncards with necessary inputs might be limited.

BUT, you can already use Audacity (multitrack audio editor) for some simpler recording and editing. You can also try formentioned Sunvox if you want to learn something more about synthesis, sampling, routing and even mixing in an alternative way. Both programs have desktop PC versions so you can try them out in advance to get the feeling and there are plenty of tutorials for both on youtube.

May the sonic force be with you brother ;-)

Edit: Oh, and yes you can play Sunvox modules with external MIDI keyboard connected. There is just a little latency with 1GHz Pandora standard linux kernel. It's hearable but not that annoying. And with the realtime kernel on Slackware you might get better results although I didn't try (yet ).
         I really want to thank you so much for all this information! I cant deny i felt a little disappointing when I read this since I really liked the idea of having all the things I mentioned inside of my pocket. but i guess Ill have to wait some time for someone to make that dream come true (open pandora 2) :p haha thanks

.I guess I'll start saving for a mac-book pro :S and pants with huge pockets! :(

Jack is the Linux audio router, and the internal sound card of the Pandora doesn't work well with it, at least for now.

But you can plug an usb audio card, or like you asked, a midi to usb device.
dang' I really need to learn a lot more about computers, i feel so ignorant sometimes :S

thanks a lot, this was very helpful :)

Back