Digitus Mini Wifi Dongle

KickAss

Very Active Member
hey,

so i bought this wifi dongle from ed's shop:

Digitus DN-7042-1 Rev.2

it's supposed to work out of the box with the latest super zaxxon.

well it ain't working.

i read its based on the rtl8192cu chipset. tried to load the module manually, but that just throws invalid symbols back at me. it drove me nuts.

well i figured out it's a ralink chipset. probably rt2870 or something.

does someone use this dongle and could provide a driver and firmware?

Oh - they have changed the chipset without notifying?

Great...

I'll check with notaz whether it can be easily included in a firmware update.

If you get invalid symbols, something is wrong with pandora's firmware, perhaps incomplete update, you may need to reflash.

Or maybe you're using insmod instead of modprobe? "sudo modprobe 8192cu" works even without the device.

no incomplete update from my side. could try to reflash, would rather not.

modprobe does work, yes, but the dongle still doesnt. 8192cu seems to be the wrong driver. could you fix me up with a compiled rt2870 module, so i can test?

Should be handled by rt2800usb.ko, that's already included.

Would be more useful if you posted USB vendor/product IDs to make it clear what you're dealing with.

Would be more useful if you posted USB vendor/product IDs to make it clear what you're dealing with.
true that. there you go:
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp.

i just checked: cant find rt2800usb.ko anywhere. if you're sure its supposed to be included, i should probably reflash :)

EDIT: okay so i did reflash and rt2800usb.ko is there now. stick the dongle in, activate the usb host and: nothing happens. i can load the module manually, but that doesnt help. dmesg tells me that it registered the driver, but thats it.

i tried the dongle on my mac and there it failed as well (actually the supplied software failed, but that may also be caused by hardware failure), so it may just be damaged.

i will send it back to ed, so he can investigate further, if he wants to.

Last edited by a moderator:
i tried another dongle:

isy iwl 4000 - belkin components id: 050d:21f2 that should work with rtl8192cu. but it doesnt.

okay i got the isy iwl 4000 dongle running now.

its all about adding the unknown device id to the driver's range of associated ids. you can:

1. compile the driver anew...

OR

2. do this:

Code:
$ sudo modprobe rtl8192cu$ sudo -iroot$ echo "xxxx yyyy" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rtl8192cu/new_id
i was not able to write to new_id with just sudo, thats why i used sudo -i here.

will later try this with the digitus dongle.

EDIT: xxxx yyyy is, of course, the id of your usb device (withOUT the colon!)

Hi guys,

I'm quite new and quite a noob. I'm French, since 13 years living in Germany and a happy owner of a second hand Pandora since 1 week. I also bought the same Digitus stick than KickAss and I'm completely stuck with it.

I read this thread as also the one given in the link above but what is described here and there is completely out of my knowledge.

I've got a CD delivered with the stick and there is a Linux folder with hundreds of files in different folders but nothing with a .ko extension as mentioned above, only .c extension.

So, where do I have to start with, guys? :)

As reward to your help, I'll translate the topic once solved in both French and German (even if the German is not my native language).

Thanks in advance. Cheers,

JF

hi,

youve got several options:

1. compile the driver yourself (using the files on the cd). probably not an easy task if you never compiled anything before.

2. use device injector, it might work for you:

3. use a different wifi dongle. theres a compatibility list on the wiki.

Hi again,

so, in a first approach I've decided to follow this tuto:

http://www.logicsupply.com/media/resources/manuals/Tutorial_Installing-Compact-USB-Wifi-Adapter-on-BBB.pdf

all went well till the last command line:

echo mtnet7601Usta > /etc/modules-load.d/mt7601.conf

the system is returning:

bash: /etc/modules-load.d/mt7601.conf: No such file or directory

which is obvious because there is no such a diretory as /modules-load.de in /etc

The question is, where is the similar directory in the Pandora and what is its name?

Thanks,

JFB

PS: Device Injector didn't help

Hi, since the release of the new Firmware 1.70,

it seems to be working again.

Back