Dimming the display even further

Emnasut

So I wasn't comfortable with using the Pandora in total darkness (e.g. in bed while my gf is sleeping already) because the display was still too bright. The Pandora is so great though that I don't want to *not* use it no matter what, so I needed a solution.

My solution: A cheap (i.e.: 2€) ND Filter sheet from www.filtersandgels.com.

For those who don't know these things: A ND (neutral density) filter in effect reduces the amount of light by a certain amount while at the same time doesn't change any colors etc.. They are normally used in photography.

Now this filter is astoundingly thin and works extremely well, even the touchscreen works without any problems. The only question was how to attach it?

Right now my solution is simple: Just cut a fitting piece and gently slide it into the gap between the LCD and the case. :)

Here are some pictures, with the top right not slipped in yet to better show how it's done.

Brightness 3 (min), with filter:

filter_3.jpg

Brightness 54 (max), with filter:

filter_54.jpg

Brightness 3, without filter:

no_filter_3.jpg

Brightness 54, without filter:

no_filter_54.jpg

Brightness 54, half of screen with filter:

half_filter_54.jpg

A picture with flash, just to show how it looks like. The strange bubbles on the bottom are not really there, it's just a reflection of the flash and the filter not fully inserted.

filter_flash.jpg

So there you are, the gap is not a bug, it's a low-light filter holder feature! :)

Maybe I'll still glue some tiny plastic or metal sheet at the top and bottom of the LCD to slid in two filters on top of each other, but as it is actually too dark on 3 to see anything with two filters (needs more something like 20) I don't knot if it's worth it.

Back