Dingoo

tds48

So here is a device with

* an inherent firmware issue (buttons cant be pressed together)
* Some emulators absolutely rubbish (graphics problems, sound etc)
* Zero support from the maker (in terms of fixing the above)
* No released os source etc ...

So what is the attraction - I don't get it ??? (And I'd love to given Im still waiting on pandora)

Last edited by a moderator:
* It looks nice, it has a nice slim design and putting the button issue aside, has a brilliant interface for gaming (much better than the GP2X IMO)
* It's powerful and the potential is there for some really cool emulation
* The emulators currently bundled with the machine are shoddy ports and not a true reflection of its power; hopefully once Craigx gets the word out we'll see some talented coders coming to the machine to show when it can really do
* It's cheap

It's rather like the first GP32, and look where that lead.

They *are* interested in fixing issues and releasing source, I speak to them most days.

The price is going to rise though in the coming months, they have been selling at near cost price I understand.

'craigix' said:

They *are* interested in fixing issues and releasing source, I speak to them most days.

The price is going to rise though in the coming months, they have been selling at near cost price I understand.
Right Im on the phone NOW to order one - Thanks Craig

'craigix' said:

Come on then, how long before this quote appears on http://dingoo-scene.blogspot.com/ :)

TheDarkSpectrum48K said:
'craigix' said:

Didn't take much persuading to "get it", did ya?

Well I ordered mine a few days ago so Im still waiting on it, but I've setup the whole build environment. Got it building using the mips toolchain, and I believe including the patched linux headers as well. Do you have any suggestions on how to test this stuff. So far I build hello world, but I have no idea where the dingoo's output is redirected to, it could just go to a serial console that we can't see. I did compile snes9x and that completed with no errors, after hacking up the configure script a bit. This platform is fairly similar to what I code for every day for work so it didnt take much getting used to.

Just wondering if you had any other places to start looking around at things, Im mostly interested in trying to get the emus working better or porting others

Thanks

i ordered mine today to from dealextreme.com, i was just wondering what sort of timescale of delivery you get from this place, my order is saying 'waiting for supplier' at the minute. the only main thing putting me off was the button issues, i love the mario games more than any and obviously super mario world will be nigh on impossible to get to the secret levels when the cape is needed, im thinking now i should of held on a while for it to be fixed but was worried about the cost going up.

'CUPC4KES' said:
the only main thing putting me off was the button issues, i love the mario games more than any and obviously super mario world will be nigh on impossible to get to the secret levels when the cape is needed, im thinking now i should of held on a while for it to be fixed but was worried about the cost going up.
imo, the Y/B button issue is overblown, since for every emu you can reconfigure the buttons layout; so yes smw is perfectly playable.

'Nova' said:
'TheDarkSpectrum48K' said:
'craigix' said:
It''s rather like the first GP32, and look where that lead.

Didn't take much persuading to "get it", did ya?

Thats probably the most complex decision process I have faced in a while :D. If Zodttd is getting one BRING ON MAME ! Yeah!

'CUPC4KES' said:
i ordered mine today to from dealextreme.com, i was just wondering what sort of timescale of delivery you get from this place, my order is saying 'waiting for supplier' at the minute. the only main thing putting me off was the button issues, i love the mario games more than any and obviously super mario world will be nigh on impossible to get to the secret levels when the cape is needed, im thinking now i should of held on a while for it to be fixed but was worried about the cost going up.
in regards to shipping it might take a few days on your status from DX to change, maybe longer.
I'm not sure how long the non EMS free shipping takes. My unit was done packaging a week ago, and after EMS shipping, had the Dingoo in my hands yesterday.

The y/b button issue can be worked around by changing buttons. It is an easy change to make.
I'm happy with NES/GBA/SNES emulation so far. All my Sega files are zipped which the Dingoo won't support currently.

Hope this helps. Overall I'm impressed by this little Dingoo & would recommend it to others.

Peace

Link

I just ordered mine from Dealextreme on Tuesday and it shipped today. I keep reading rumblings of Mame and such being worked on for this little system. I'm excited, sort-of like I was in the GP32 days. :)

gp32_console

To give you guys an idea of DealExtreme's shipping time, I ordered mine around 3am Monday the 13th, and it arrived yesterday, so about 10 days total. I live in Ohio, and I paid for EMS Express (still quite a deal -- Dingoo plus shipping for less than $100).

The status of my order was "Waiting For Supplier" for like 3 days, then "Packaging" for about a day or so, and then it shipped over the weekend.

I'm quite impressed with my Dingoo so far -- the battery life is excellent, and I love the fact that you can charge from USB *and* it comes with an A/C adapter that's compatible with US power outlets (all of which are huge improvements over the GP2X's ridiculously low battery life and lack of any included power supply that works in the US).

The large variety of media file types that the Dingoo supports is very nice -- particularly FLAC, which is a preference of mine for audio files. I've only tried Neo-Geo emulation so far, but the quality is very impressive. Even though you have to convert the roms to .MVS files before playing, I already prefer emulating Neo-Geo on the Dingoo over the GP2X, since the GP2X Neo-Geo emulator has the problem of using hard to find romsets that are named differently than the MAME standard.

I've heard some complaints about the D-Pad when trying to play fighting games, but I actually find it easier to perform moves that require diagonal movements on the Dingoo than the little joystick on the GP2X F-100 or the 4 separate directional buttons on the F-200.

Back