Dingoo

mark1980

Still Fresh
ive readed all the info i can find on the dingoo.and from what a can geather it can get 400mhz of power out of it with out over clocking.so my question is this,a gp2x f100 at about half the power 200mhz with well writen/made emulators can run snes,megadrive,mame,neo geo realy good.what can we exspect from the dingoo that the gp2x could'nt handle well say psx4all.i just ask because with all that extra power has to be used for some thing good.i can't realy see the dingoo makeing snes,mega drive games etc run better (once some realy good emulators come out) than the the gp2x could with half the power.is all that power just realy over kill ?

400 MHz on an 8088xt is not the same as a Pii400.
That's an exageration but a GP2X vs Dingoo is not apples n apples, or oranges n oranges to not make Corp comparissons.

When GP2X came out it struggled with SNES etc. Dingoo is half the price. Might not pack twice the punch, but it's been out 6 months with minimal development.

Linux Dualboot is about to land. Let's see where the Dingoo scene is in 6 more months.

Cheers

Link

The CPUs in the GP2X and the Dingoo use very different architectures. The GP2X has an ARM processor, while the Dingoo A320 has a MIPS processor. Thus, the two processors can't be compared clock for clock (and even if they were both ARM or both MIPS, they probably still couldn't be compared clock per clock, just like you can't compare a Pentium 4 to an AMD Athlon XP series clock for clock, even though they're both x86 architecture).

We don't really know for sure whether or not the Dingoo's CPU is "overkill" for emulating nes, snes, gba, mame, mega drive, etc. It's still highly unlikely that PSX would ever work well on the A320 (though what was seen in the later versions of psx4all on the gp2x was quite amazing...did anyone else try playing Final Fantasy VII in those later versions?).

Don't take this the wrong way, but proper punctuation, spelling, capitalization and grammar go a long way.

(My Dingoo arrived in the mail this morning – I’ve left it to charge while I’m at work. Thought I’d start posting here to make the day past a little faster!)

The final versions of PSX4ALL on the GP2X were quite impressive. The main game I always tested was Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Sadly it never ran that well (also my F100 GP2X would never clock over 250mhz). The game worked, but was so slow that it was essentially unplayable.

The issue with the GP2x was it’s lack of a dedicated 3D processor – I’m not aware the Dingoo has one, so regardless of how much speed the main processor has I’d question if it is really any better equipped for Playstation emulation.

I suppose it comes down to how clever the code is – if the 3D processing can be done in the software, and there’s enough available resources to do this at the same time as actually running the rest of the emulator it may be a possibility. I’m sure our talented bunch of coders who did such good work on the GP2X will give it their best shot.

mark-s said:
ive readed all the info i can find on the dingoo.and from what a can geather it can get 400mhz of power out of it with out over clocking.so my question is this,a gp2x f100 at about half the power 200mhz with well writen/made emulators can run snes,megadrive,mame,neo geo realy good.what can we exspect from the dingoo that the gp2x could'nt handle well say psx4all.i just ask because with all that extra power has to be used for some thing good.i can't realy see the dingoo makeing snes,mega drive games etc run better (once some realy good emulators come out) than the the gp2x could with half the power.is all that power just realy over kill ?

Not to mention that the gp2x has 2 cores, vs the one core on the dingoo. I have heard developers say the second core isn't very useful, but then Picodrive proves them wrong. You can do Genesis with cdrom at less then 200mhz with the 2nd core enabled (complete with 44khz stereo sound). I wouldn't hold my breath for that on the dingoo.

PS... With X86 standardizing with multiple cores, you are going to see more talent arrive taking advantage of dual core systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
The snes9x emulator in Dingux seems to work well, and that is without any optimization. There is room for improvement, but in comparison at such an early stage in development, it seems the Dingoo has more power than the gp2x, but that doesn't necessarily relate to just the higher clock speed alone.

Clock speeds are often figures used as marketing tools because most people think bigger numbers mean better performance, but we all know there is often more to it than that.

And having multiple cores doesn't mean all that much in regards to performance in all cases. It seems to me that a lot of companies use the more/bigger is better approach to move their hardware instead of giving the consumer accurate info. Such is definitely the case with the Dingoo and the Wiz also.

The info available through resellers was amusingly vague and incorrect. It took people opening it up the A320 to find out what it actually had in it. And I think it is clocked at 333mhz as standard, but is is advertised as 400mhz, which is achievable through overclocking. But it's still a cool little device imo.

EDIT: post edited to better address the topic.

Back