Directory deletions?

Valpskott

Still Fresh
Backstory: My SD-card was acting up, so, every time I inserted it, it got a new name, I suspect this resulted in that there are some directorier under /media/ that just isn't nessesary anymore.

This is my listing:

card

cf

DD

hdd

mmc1

Nellie

net

ram

realroot

union

Valp32

Nellie is my mount point for my NAS, and Valp32 is the name of my SD card, so those two I'm sure I want to keep as is. Can someone either share their directory listing of /media/ or tell me which ones in my listing thats not in a default setup.

here's mine (it's got 2 sd cards in at the minute)

card

cf

hdd

mmc1

mmcblk0p1

mmcblk1p1

net

ram

realroot

union

so comparing with your, 'DD' looks the only wonky entry.

Hmmmmmm... now I'm wondering what the other directories are doing there... cause most(all others) are empty.

Thank you for your reply :)

I have the following :

card

CARD2 (I think the name of an OLD SD card...empty)

cf

hdd

MEDIA (2nd SD CARD)

mmc1

mmcblk0p1

net

PANDORABOOT (both 1st SD card partitions)

PANDORAROOT

ram

realroot

union

.hal-mtab

So DD is the odd one out again.

cause most(all others) are empty.
My understanding is that they represent the devices that they're named for - I gather that if you attach the relevant ones (for example, a hard disk drive, represented by "hdd"), they should point to that.

Most these directories are just samples to help admins.

I have cleaned most. Only "ram" and your currently mounted devices have to stay ;)

"ram" is a convenient ram disk. It can be used for temporary storage of small files that need fast access, quick and dirty interprocess communication, quite a few other things I'm sure. It uses your RAM as a disk drive, which is why it's good for small files only, and everything disappears when you shut down.

The rest are obvious what they should be, but I'm pretty sure they're simply "just in case" placeholders.

Back