DisplayLink external DVI/VGA display on SuperZaxxon firmware: Request for assistance

Okay guys,

finally flashed SZ 1.54 final to NAND, installed CodecPack and executed the Pandora OS upgrader, that installed a few new packages, mainly gstreamer packages. So probably nothing DisplayLink-relevant, so consider my system a fresh SZ 1.54 flash.

Booted up, connected DisplayLink, got the green screen and module udlfb is loaded. Nice.

Then exchanged the xorg.conf:

Code:
cd /etc/X11
sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.ORG
sudo cp xorg.conf.displaylink xorg.conf

and reboote (DisplayLink still connected).

--> Green screen. No output on the DisplayLink screen. But why?

I checked the xorg.conf, and it contains the DisplayLink stuff, that I used on SL4P successfully before (the only difference being the missing xinerama option, that was found not to work on SZ firmware).

Did anyone use DisplayLink successfully yet on SZ 1.54? If so, what did you do to make it work?

EDIT: okay, I suspect the X udl driver is missing, that's described here. Will investigate.

Last edited by a moderator:
okay, seems if I could use some help now. :p

I tried to compile the xf-video-udlfb driver, using the same procedure as for SL4P back then, using the Code::Blocks PND as the development environment (command line tools):

git clone http://git.plugable.com/webdav/xf-video-udlfb/
cd xf-video-udlfb
export CFLAGS="-DPANDORA -O2 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp"
export CXXFLAGS="-DPANDORA -O2 -pipe -mcpu=cortex-a8 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=softfp"
./autogen.sh
./configure --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --sysconfdir=/etc
make
make install DESTDIR=/tmp/build/
cd /tmp/build/
makepkg -c y /tmp/xf-video-udlfb-201211-arm-1.tgz
installpkg /tmp/xf-video-udlfb-*-arm-1.tgz
I am stuck after the autogen.sh part.

autogen.sh seems to execute the configure script at its end, because I got an error message from the configure script:

Code:
./configure: line 11920: syntax error near unexpected token 'RANDR,'
./configure: line 11920: 'XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT(RANDR, randrproto)'
I tried to figure out, what XORG_DRIVER_CHECK_EXT() actually is or does, but was not successful, so I am stuck now. 

Can anyone please give a hint? Maybe it has something to do with missing RANDR support of the X server used by SuperZaxxon? I don't know much about that. Any idea how we could solve that issue?

Thanks!

I just found the second post of this thread ;-)

The recipes for xorg driver are already set up and waiting testing, if you wait a few days you'll have it in firmware update.
hmmm... I waited a few days. ;-)

Is it integrated into the firmware already? If so, how can I check if it's working? 

On my Giga Pandora I used the default settings without any problems.

It was the the little demo when we met.

Don't know why it doesn't work for you.

I used this one:

# Minimal xorg.conf for the OpenPandora - Most things are setup by HAL and FDI's.

Section "Module"
    Load        "extmod"
    Load        "dbe"
    Disable        "glx"
    Disable        "dri"
    Load        "dri2"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier    "DefaultLayout"
    Screen        0    "DisplayLinkScreen"
    Screen        1    "Screen0" Below "DisplayLinkScreen"
#    Option        "Xinerama" "on" #Not working on superzaxxon
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Screen0"
    Device        "OMAPFB"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    16
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    16
        Modes    "800x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Monitor0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "OMAPFB"
    Driver        "omapfb"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "FBDEV"
    Driver        "fbdev"
    Option        "ShadowFB"        "false"
EndSection

Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Speedo"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "DisplayLinkDevice"
Driver "fbdev"
BusID "USB" # needed to use multiple DisplayLink devices
Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb3" # change to whatever device you want to use
# Option "rotate" "CCW" # uncomment for rotation
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "DisplayLinkMonitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "DisplayLinkScreen"
Device "DisplayLinkDevice"
Monitor "DisplayLinkMonitor"
DefaultDepth 16
EndSection

Don't forget to add an empty line after the last "EndSection".

I forgot it and crashed my Xserver.

(Simply fixable if you press R during startup and boot CLI mode.)

Yeah udlfb should be installed by default

sudo opkg list-installed | grep udl

Not sure about included config (no way to test), but somebody reported it's good.

d'oh, of course. opkg list-installed. 

It's really annoying that I forget about the obvious checks if I only pause to use the Pandora for a few weeks on that level.

Okay, xf86-video-udlfb is installed of course, and contains two files:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf.displaylink
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/displaylink_drv.so
I think that's okay.

Askarus, did you really use the config as it was included? It looks good on first glance, should work IMO, but... it doesn't for me.

WIll test more on the weekend.

Hi, the DL works perfectly under angstrom, but I can't make it to work under debian wheezy. All xorg.conf configuration I tried make a black pandora screen, without xorg.conf only the pandora screen is used (DL green screen) and Xorg -configure says no device to configure. I didn't find a way to enable startup usb-host on debian, so also with a right xorg.conf displaylink will not start, using the angstrom startup pnd doesn't work, I must try gdm3, but what I must write in?

Thanks in advance I'm going mad with debian as I need it

Find a way, now DisplayLink is perfect also on Debian (only wheezy tested)

I seem to be in the same shape as hmc. I am running the latest SZ. I swapped in the displaylink xorg.conf. I rebooted and have tried a couple of options plugging my Diamond displaylink adapter. I am connected to my TV/Monitor via DVI. I have tried connecting the DL device direct to the A/B (full-size) USB port. When I do, I get the green screen and the indicator light on the adapter stays on solid. I also tried connecting via my powered USB hub. The light on the hub and the DL device flash intermittently and I don't get a green screen.

I looking at the dmesg output, things seem to be going correctly. The device is recognized and all the modes are listed and a framebuffer is allocated. 

Tried a different monitor connected via HDMI that I knew could handle the resolution, but same green screen. I connected to my original monitor via DVI and also tried VGA. Continuing to try things, still looking for help.

When I get the green screen and reboot, the USB host does not seem to activate following the reboot. The light on the DL adapter does not come on telling me it is getting power. I either get a black screen on my P and my external monitor or the P finishes booting to my desktop with a black external screen as the USB host is not active. Again, I don't see anything in dmesg that is helpful to me. I looked at the wiki page for slack. I tried opening a terminal and running startx, but that fails and tells me X is already running on Screen0. So it won't open a second instance of X. I assume that is a limitation of Angstrom.

Not exactly.

For DisplayLink testing purposes, i suggested to disable X autostart, so startx is the command used to launch X manually.

You can do the same under Zaxxon.

OK, Much progress. There were a few confusing things. I was using Openbox which doesn't have a logout feature. I switched to XFCE and logged out and I got the login screen on my external monitor. I couldn't login. I found out that it was because I use a character in my password that is not available without the Fn key which was not enabled at that login screen. I imagine I am not the only one who uses special characters as part of my password.

All went well other than the desktop was stretched off my monitor. I tried using my powered hubs. One did not work at all, the other worked intermittently. Directly connected to the P, I was able to use VGA and DVI.

Is there a way to specify the resolution to use on the external monitor? Right now it seems that X is selecting based on the capabilities of the adapter rather than the monitor. I would like to try some other resolutions to see if I can find one that works with my monitor. I read some other threads but didn't see where anyone had been successful. Thanks for the reply.

If you think I should disable X autostart, I will. Please point me towards the instructions. Thanks.

Check /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I suppose that you already copied the DL to this one ?

Check /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

I suppose that you already copied the DL to this one ?
Yes. I tried adding a display section to the DL section at the bottom and specifying 1024x768, but it seems that is ignored since dmesg still says 1280x768. I probably need to look at the X log and see what is going on.

major oops here :(

I got the i-tec adapter (USB2HDTRIO) - the good news is that it works fine! the bad: I somehow messed up my configuration, xfce will not startup anymore...

It broke when I tried to do a startx from within another xfce session as root, now the login does not work: I can startx manually from the command line (as root), but not as user..so the X configuration seems to be fine, but I am not sure what could be wrong. Someone has a suggestion to debug or fix this??

edit: solved - the .ICEauthority (apparently important ;-) ) was owned by root...

Hi chaps,

I ordered a DisplayLink device for around £28 it's not arrived yet but I just want to be prepared.

Anyone have the abridged version of what I have to do to get it working with my Pandy? :)

Hi just a note that my displaylink just arrived today and after a bit of rebooting it works fine - I just cp'd the included xorg.conf.displaylink and no problems.

It likes to eat the batteries though! O_O

This will definitely be useful for my 3 weeks in Chile at Xmas! :)

Back