Dissapointed At The Short Lifecycle Of Original Xbox

evol

i bought an xbox because the marketing said that the game companies would stick to it like a bee to honey

"its so easy to develop for yadda yadda directX bigger memory cache Ps2 is to damn to dev for hard bla bla more powerfull snicker tihii"

altough as as time went by i learned

1. no way in hell is an 32bit 733mhz PIII with disabled l2 cache more powerfull than a risc 128bit cpu at 294mhz
2. when they said develop they meant porting crippled versions of Win32 games
3. when they said its not just an X86 miniPC they were right, its an X86 miniPC with DRM and encryption galore
4. the few original games who were kickass would get insane cliffhanger endings and force me to buy new gen Xbox (yeahh im pointing at you halo)
5. yes it craches no bluescreen tough
6. shortened lifecycle fewer games and a bloody heap of FPS games (wheres my RPG,s)

so im mad as hell at microsoft and will never buy another product from them in my life so im wondering am i the only one felling letdown when i use my googlefuh i cant see anyone pointing out that the cpu is weaker or that MS killed it of to early etc,etc

love the halo series tough but learn from nintendo MSinfidels the new zelda will launch with a legacy version for gamecube and dont let me go to the part about E3-2005 where bungie showcased halo2 with the slogan
[PROTECT HER](meaning protect earth on from floods of invading covenant)

i just got one thing to say to bungie

Never trust a system that keeps its original prototype name. When the X-Box was first announced, I thought it sounded fun, like a top-secret codenamed console, 'Project X' or something. In the meantime Nintendo had announced that they were developing their new system, the Dolphin, whilst Sony were still doing their boring-ass PS2 stuff...

But then the X-Box comes out, with exactly the same name. And it is literally a huge box with an X on top of it. The Dolphin was eventually a cute little purple cube, with a mysterious name - the 'GameCube' - whilst the X-Box still seemed like this big secret thingy. But no, it was just something that played shitty versions of PC games and slightly better versions of the multi-format shit that you get on the PS2.

That's why I was expecting the 360 to look like a huge big box thingy, only with 360 little X's all over it. This isn't really a very relevant contribution is it? Sorry.

TwoHeadedBoy posted on May 15 2006 at 11:36 PM said:
Never trust a system that keeps its original prototype name. When the X-Box was first announced, I thought it sounded fun, like a top-secret codenamed console, 'Project X' or something. In the meantime Nintendo had announced that they were developing their new system, the Dolphin, whilst Sony were still doing their boring-ass PS2 stuff...

But then the X-Box comes out, with exactly the same name. And it is literally a huge box with an X on top of it. The Dolphin was eventually a cute little purple cube, with a mysterious name - the 'GameCube' - whilst the X-Box still seemed like this big secret thingy. But no, it was just something that played shitty versions of PC games and slightly better versions of the multi-format shit that you get on the PS2.

That's why I was expecting the 360 to look like a huge big box thingy, only with 360 little X's all over it. This isn't really a very relevant contribution is it? Sorry.

It was a good post and you know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
shinneri posted on May 16 2006 at 05:31 AM said:
Sega made me buy an Xbox and then Shenmue III never came out. Only console I've ever sold. :angry:

Wow my Xbox story is a carbon copy of that. Except that I had mine modded but never really used it.

What a bloody waste of money.

I just bought an Xbox from Ebay just for homebrew. I don't give a shit about Xbox games, I have a PC ;)

sand_man posted on May 16 2006 at 10:55 AM said:
I just bought an Xbox from Ebay just for homebrew. I don't give a shit about Xbox games, I have a PC ;)

I did just the same: bought from E-bay a ready-made modded X-Box with Linux and Emulators.

A joy to behold !!

davey g posted on May 16 2006 at 03:43 PM said:
Hey, why don't we all try to be as ignorant as possible! Wouldn't that be great?!?
Explain yourself, knave.

evol posted on May 15 2006 at 08:02 PM said:
i bought an xbox because the marketing said that the game companies would stick to it like a bee to honey

"its so easy to develop for yadda yadda directX bigger memory cache Ps2 is to damn to dev for hard bla bla more powerfull snicker tihii"

1. no way in hell is an 32bit 733mhz PIII with disabled l2 cache more powerfull than a risc 128bit cpu at 294mhz
3. when they said its not just an X86 miniPC they were right, its an X86 miniPC with DRM and encryption galore
4. the few original games who were kickass would get insane cliffhanger endings and force me to buy new gen Xbox (yeahh im pointing at you halo)
6. shortened lifecycle fewer games and a bloody heap of FPS games (wheres my RPG,s)

so im mad as hell at microsoft and will never buy another product from them in my life so im wondering am i the only one felling letdown when i use my googlefuh i cant see anyone pointing out that the cpu is weaker or that MS killed it of to early etc,etc

love the halo series tough but learn from nintendo MSinfidels the new zelda will launch with a legacy version for gamecube and dont let me go to the part about E3-2005 where bungie showcased halo2 with the slogan

What? what kind of freak are you?! the xbox came out in 2001/2 worldwide, i make that a good 5 years with another to come next year with games slated for 2007, which in my books makes it a better supported console than the Saturn, Dreamcast, Megadrive/Genesis and SNES which also had a 5-6 year supported period, stop bloody moaning, you are gonna say you bought it for xmas 2004 and missed the boat by 2-3 years, tuff mate, its the way its its been and its the way its always gonna be.
In memory serves me the longest supported piece of hardware was the Amiga 500 (1987-1996 with commerical software with some games still be released) also the Neo-Geo but of course that was only like 10 new games in 7 years or something!

Regarding the processors...bollocks, xbox games are 5 times better looking than ps2 games, the ps2 is limited in ram, texture compression and screen resolution along with limited real time lighting.....no one lied about the specs you nob, if you want to accuse then i'm sure you will find Sony of doing a great job everytime it releases a console.

I dont know the exact number count of xbox games but i recall on the official xbox site it said something like over 800 games..not bad for a 'nonsupported' system in anyones book, and dont talk about exclusives...the xbox has taken more exclusives away from the PS2 than sega and nintendo could take away put together...

I'm pretty sure "taking away" of exclusives is a bad choice of words considering Nintendo has EVERY Nintendo game exclusive on their console... you're just twisting words to make Xbox sounds better.

Of course you're right that Xbox is more powerful. That's obvious when you look at the exclusives that the Xbox does have. I don't dispute that at all.

But you're wrong about the lifespan. Okay, came out in Nov 2001, but the X360 came out late 2005. The release of the X360 killed all chances of any major exclusives on the Xbox. Sure, it'll get multiplatform titles, but that's it. A company would be stupid to give exclusive support to a system that is no longer in production.

Xbox was released with the promise of having a longer lifespan than the competition thanks to its much greater power, but it ended up being the console that got replaced first.

jaycee900 posted on May 20 2006 at 09:49 AM said:
evol posted on May 15 2006 at 08:02 PM said:

What? what kind of freak are you?! the xbox came out in 2001/2 worldwide, i make that a good 5 years with another to come next year with games slated for 2007, which in my books makes it a better supported console than the Saturn, Dreamcast, Megadrive/Genesis and SNES which also had a 5-6 year supported period, stop bloody moaning, you are gonna say you bought it for xmas 2004 and missed the boat by 2-3 years, tuff mate, its the way its its been and its the way its always gonna be.
In memory serves me the longest supported piece of hardware was the Amiga 500 (1987-1996 with commerical software with some games still be released) also the Neo-Geo but of course that was only like 10 new games in 7 years or something!

Regarding the processors...bollocks, xbox games are 5 times better looking than ps2 games, the ps2 is limited in ram, texture compression and screen resolution along with limited real time lighting.....no one lied about the specs you nob, if you want to accuse then i'm sure you will find Sony of doing a great job everytime it releases a console.

I dont know the exact number count of xbox games but i recall on the official xbox site it said something like over 800 games..not bad for a 'nonsupported' system in anyones book, and dont talk about exclusives...the xbox has taken more exclusives away from the PS2 than sega and nintendo could take away put together...

hmm didnt think i would have to elaborate about about the processors but here it goes

mhz in precessors is just a mesurment of how fast the chissel in the processor can turn and with every turn the Cpu loads a instruction in the Xbox theres a 32bit long instruction set and the xbox has a clockspeed of 733mhz

so Xbox 733*32=23456 amounting to 23456 instructions for fullcycle
Ps2 294*128=37632 amounting to 37632 instructions for fullcycle

and for the remark about bigger memory (i think you are refering to that the xbox has bigger caches for texturing) yeah youre right about that if youre talking PCx86 architecture the truth is that xbox choose a model where they have onboard bigger memory to make up for the lack of bandwidht between busses (pretty good idea to store data when the buss is clogged up)

on the other hand the Ps2 has huge bandwidht and smaller memory caches (pretty good idea if youre going to stream data instead of storing it)

the 2 things that Xbox did right and are more powerfull in are

1. dedicated GPU (not general purpose like Ps2)
2. harddrive

the thing is people scream Xbox is more powerfullpowerfullpowerfullpowerfull and they never ask themselves

why ? is it
is it really

and now the world is full of people like you screaming "Xbox is so l33t noob stfu"

in pure l33tness of hardware specs its more like

1. Gamecube
2. Ps2
3. Xbox

People generally scream about it being more powerful because the games look much nicer on it than they do on the PS2.

Simple as that.

declaration posted on May 20 2006 at 05:06 PM said:
People generally scream about it being more powerful because the games look much nicer on it than they do on the PS2.

Simple as that.
And environments can be larger--just look at Splinter Cell.

xbox was produced from end 2001 to mid 2005 = <4years
playstation 1 started production 1994 sony announced on e3 2006 that they will stop produceing it this year = ~12 years
Playstation 2 started production in late 2000, sony announced at this years e3 that it will be supported for "many more years"

shinneri posted on May 21 2006 at 05:22 AM said:
declaration posted on May 20 2006 at 05:06 PM said:

Simple as that.
And environments can be larger--just look at Splinter Cell.

i own a xbox and i really cant say that its a huge difference against Ps2 graphics xbox got some insane pixelshading going on but in my opinion everything looks like some one smeared butter on all object in the games

xbox got its share of good titles but its not as many as on the other 2 systems

and i rather look at shadow of the colossus than splintercell

if xbox didnt had XBMC i would have sold it long time ago

shinneri posted on May 20 2006 at 06:56 PM said:
I'm pretty sure "taking away" of exclusives is a bad choice of words considering Nintendo has EVERY Nintendo game exclusive on their console... you're just twisting words to make Xbox sounds better.

Of course you're right that Xbox is more powerful. That's obvious when you look at the exclusives that the Xbox does have. I don't dispute that at all.

But you're wrong about the lifespan. Okay, came out in Nov 2001, but the X360 came out late 2005. The release of the X360 killed all chances of any major exclusives on the Xbox. Sure, it'll get multiplatform titles, but that's it. A company would be stupid to give exclusive support to a system that is no longer in production.

Xbox was released with the promise of having a longer lifespan than the competition thanks to its much greater power, but it ended up being the console that got replaced first.
I WAS referring and comparing to the PS2 when talking about exclusives being made multiformat, though bringing Nintendo into the equation isnt really valid, Nintendo probably publishes 75% of all games on Gamecube anyway!

I agree the 360 spoilt the lifespan a little, i wouldnt say alot because Microsoft have been saying for a good 3 years they would be first out in the next generation, so i think people have blinkers on to the world if they thought if would be supported 7-8 years...t
This xmas it would have been 5 years with another year to comes so all in 6 years is pretty good considering the first Xbox was a jump start into the console business in which they have lost billions and money on each console sold, would you not stop making them at your first chance?!

Hehe, I owned a Xbox too (modded + 30games)... I traded it for a NeoGeo Pocket Color with 4 games and I still have it! :lol:

Back