DIY Cable Replacement

CyberLeo

So I finally got around to replacing the LCD cable in my Rebirth Pandora, to alleviate the dreaded purple tint and seizure-inducing flickery bars. I was expecting some wear, but not to the extent that I had found.

http://cyberleo.net/cyberleo/OP/cable/

I recall ED mentioning collecting damaged cables for analysis; is this still the case? Or will macro photos, like those provided above, suffice?

After replacement, the display is back to its former glory. Not all is well, however: the right speaker doesn't seem to work, even after double-checking that everything was seated properly. Silly me, despite knowing that the headphone output is functional, I don't ever remember checking that both speakers were functional prior to replacement, so I can't tell if there's something wrong with the replacement cable, or if the problem lies elsewhere. Has anyone else seen such a failure mode?

We're still collecting those broken cables.

I don't know if your one is of any use for us because it's badly broken and doeesn't need to be analysed I think.

If EvilDragon doesn't replay here I'll ask him tomorrow wheter we need your cable or not.

Thanks for informing us :) .

Ew, you've got one of the really old cables with the metal tape on it. Strange that it showed up in a Rebirth Pandora, I was quite certain they'd switched to newer cables that didn't have that because of the tendency for the metal tape to kink and tear the cable, exactly as you've seen. I may have been mistaken and maybe they launched a few rebirths before switching cables.

At any rate, glad you got it working. As for the speakers, all I can suggest is to check the solder points on the back of the LCD side of the cable, make sure it's held solid.

That was a new one.

The really old had copper, not silver tape.

No need to send it - it's really broken :)

Ahah, my misunderstanding then, sorry. I just removed the tape from mine completely when I replaced it <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Back